mtbr member
    Jul 2011

T25 Torx for Rotor keep stripping...

I'm trying to replace an old rotor. Using a T25 torx head from a tool set, keeps stripping the bolt. I already stripped 2 on each rotor. How do I get these off?

Would it help to get a better Torx wrench? Like this:

SUPER-B T25/30/40 Y-Key Wrench - Torpedo7

Knowledge over Swag
    Aug 2011
    If the tip of the torx head is pointed, sand off the point and it will reduce chances of stripping.

Picture Unrelated
    A $6 three-way torx wrench is unlikely to be an improvement. Get a hardened steel Torx set and stop using crap tools. Nice sharp tools will ALWAYS pay off in the long run. I can understand not buying the most expensive version of tools you use infrequently but it is very much worth the investment to buy good quality wrenches like Allens and torx wrenches.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

nocturnal oblivion
    Quality tools is one of the most important things in life. Most likely it is your torx bit. The torx design is great because it is very difficult to strip compared to hex bolts.
    Either get that tool, or what I'd recommend is go to the store and get the one torx socket you need which you can then use on a torque wrench when you get one. I have a full set of Torx sockets, I probably use two of them and both are on bolts found on my bikes, so don't bother with a set.
    As for the stripped ones, your best bet is a screw extractor. Again, get a quality screw extractor set. Keep it dry and even oiled because screw extractor sets, like tap and die sets are not plated like allen wrenches or sockets, they will rust, which includes the sharp edges that makes them work.

Also, if you get a torx socket, the torque wrench in your future will be a 3/8 inch drive. So get a 3/8 inch drive for the torx socket you need.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

Machinist
    WIHA is the best, been using them daily for years and never had to replace them.
    "Ya can't argue logic with ignorance.''

Probably drunk right now

Something else to consider...

It's also possible that the bolts were installed with red locktite. Inspect the area closely. If you do see red locktite you'll need to heat the bolts to break them loose.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Before I went to a screw extractor, I would go after it with a Dremel tool. I have either cut a slot into the head (using a cutoff wheel) that I could get a regular screwdriver to fit, or I have ground flat spots on two opposite sides of the torx head and used a set of tiny ignition pliers to remove them.

If you don't have a set of these tiny ignition pliers, you're missing out on one of the handiest tools you could ever own. They make a small vise grip look like a joke for getting a grip on things like the OP's situation:

Catalog No. 50CGV Product Detail

424 Straight Jaw Plier

If the two above options fail, I would use the Dremel to completely remove the head, and then take the rotor off, exposing enough of the fastener to get the ignition pliers onto it and unscrew it that way.

JMHO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    If none of the above works a sure fire way is to drill a hole in the middle of the bolt and use a stud extractor. I can't post links but google will show you what I mean, they look like tapered drill bits.

Probably drunk right now

Yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by Nealy View Post
    If none of the above works a sure fire way is to drill a hole in the middle of the bolt and use a stud extractor. I can't post links but google will show you what I mean, they look like tapered drill bits.
    The diameter of the bolt makes it pretty hard to hand drill deep enough to get any sort of bite.

It would be far easier to drill the head of the bolts off, remove the rotor and use a pair of channel locks to unscrew the remainder of the bolt.
    JPark - 3.5- don't listen to dremer

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I had a spare voucher sitting around and went ahead and bought one of those Torpedo7 ones. It managed to take off the bolts like nothing and even most of the stripped ones came off also.