1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Switching parts from a bike to another

Hi,
    First, this is from a frenchspeaking newbie so please forgive the lack of vocabulary. Alright, I have this 1996 kona kula with very nice parts (ceramic wheels, some xtr and some more basic deore parts) and with hydrolic rim breaks. I am wishing to have a double suspension xc bike but want to keep it to a minimum expense. I looked online and on this fabulous site to see if I could find a frame that would take rim brake and I found the riddik from Sette. I could also have a new marzocchi mx pro eta/tas fork for about 300 us shipping included. My question is, how about this project? Does it sound like a good plan? Will my old parts all be fitting the new frame (derailleur, crank set...)?

For infos about the frame : http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/149...tte-Riddik-XC-
    Frame-w/-Manitou-Swinger-Air-SPV-4-Way-%2706-offerIN070MTP.htm?zmam=3075515&
    zmas=1&zmac=17&zmap=14968

Also, I would have the bike assembled in a shop...

Thanks for the advices and comments.

Mat

I post too much.
    They only problem I could see is your bottom bracket being outdated and not being able to be transfered over. That's not too bad because it's a pretty inexpensive part.

I'd go for it.

pronounced may-duh
    With the BB there are 2 basic shell widths 68 or 73mm. Then you have the axel lenght that has gotten shorter in recent history. So that's sometimes an issue.

Also check the diameter of your seatpost to see if it will fit. Also the size of the clamp on your front derailer and is it top or bottom pull and top or bottom swing.

So there can be some issues but nothing that would be a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    First, I d'like to thank both of you for your answer.

I checked my current bike to see if I could find out the measurement of the parts you mentionned. I think the seat post is fine. For the BB, I have no idea how to measure and where and what exactly. I checked online but couldn't find what to do. For the front derailler, I know the wire is coming from the bottom but I don't know how to check if it is a top or bottom swing... Does that mean I'll need another derailler or will I be able to use the same?

I know I ask a lot of questions but I will apreciate any more help regarding this situation.

Many thanks

Mat

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by nightnerd
    First, I d'like to thank both of you for your answer.

I checked my current bike to see if I could find out the measurement of the parts you mentionned. I think the seat post is fine. For the BB, I have no idea how to measure and where and what exactly. I checked online but couldn't find what to do. For the front derailler, I know the wire is coming from the bottom but I don't know how to check if it is a top or bottom swing... Does that mean I'll need another derailler or will I be able to use the same?

I know I ask a lot of questions but I will apreciate any more help regarding this situation.

Many thanks

Mat
    Measure your BB shell width. The BB shell is the tube that holds the bearings of the crankset in the frame. My guess is that it will be either 68 or 73mm, either way you should be fine I think.

Completely off-topic: I see you're from Quebec, it's nice to know I'm not the only frenchy on here!

Cheers!

Edit: Front derailleurs are pretty cheap, so even if the one you have doesn't fit, it won't cost you a whole lot to replace it.