1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Switched up Spacers and noticed immediate difference..

I wanted to fool around with my spacers and drop my stem and handlebars to see what kind of feel difference I would have when riding. My bike came stocked with 2-10mm spacers and then 2-5mm spacers on top of the 2-10mm spacers for 30mm total under the original stem that came with my bike. I decided to keep that spacer set-up when I put my new stem and bars on. My new stem is a 120mm FSA OS-115 Stem with 6 degree rise and Xroc AlphaQ Carbon Straight handlebars. So I took the 2 top 5mm spacers, that were laying on top of the 2-10mm spacers, off, and placed them on top of my stem and tightened everything up and took it out for a ride. I instantly noticed with my handlebar/stem being 10mm lower that my power to accelerate was a lot less than when I had the handlebars up 10mm. It seemed the raised height of 10mm for my bars allowed me to get more torque when I lifted off the seat to pedal as well as having the leverage on the bar to really help me get into a faster, powerful type of pedaling. Also when sitting and pedaling, my knees seemed to feel like they were raised more and I didn't have that power I usually had from staying on my seat and pedaling. Need less to say I put my bars back up with the 10mm spacers back underneath my stem. I just wanted to give my experience on the effects of spacers and their spacing as I was doing research on stem length, spacers etc and realize that everyones' bodies and frames are different and just wanted to share my experience. I am 5'6" and have a 17" bike frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Funny how I find the opposite around, especially when accelerating staying seated

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah, That is the point I was trying to convey. After reading everyone's experiences with how they set-up their bikes to feel right for them. I have come to the conclusion that everyone has a different body type, height, weight , arm/leg/torso length etc.. So I really feel, just because someone positions their bike characteristics one way, does not mean it will work well for someone else. I have been reading so many comments on how that stem is way to long or those handlebars are way to narrow or wide etc etc.. But in reality, it all comes down to our own body geometry compared to the bikes geometry that we are riding. I just don't quite understand why one feels that they must set-up their bikes the exact way a pro, or anyone else for that matter, set's their bikes up.I guarantee you that whatever PRO it may be, sets up their bikes geometry to their body geometry to create their peak individual performance.

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    True, but things like stem length and bar width affect handling. The goal is to make the bike handle the way you want, while being comfortable for your body. For instance, swapping out a long stem/narrow bar combo to a short stem/wide bar setup will leave your torso in the same position, but will be more stable on the downhill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Very true

local trails rider
    A change in bar height (read: riding position) can affect which muscles do more work.
    ... so, short term, you have your currently weaker muscles doing more work - which isn't as good as your stronger muscles could manage before the change.
    What will the result be in 2 or 4 weeks? Don't know, but most likely it isn't as bad as the first impression.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"