1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Swapping a HT Frame for a FS Frame

I have a 2010 Giant XTC HT. I was considering getting an Anthem frame (pr any other for that matter) and installing the XTC components and fork on the new frame.

I have never built a bike, would this work?

Fat-tired Roadie
    Maybe. You need to go through the way each of your existing components mates to the frame.

Places you may run into problems in particular are the axles, the front derailleur clamp size and swing, the bottom bracket standard, the headset standard, the amount of fork travel, and the seat post size.

If you stick with XC frames (can't remember if the Anthem is the XC or Trail model) I'd expect you to be able to transfer most of your parts. But you should expect to have to buy some new stuff too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    It's the little stuff on a ht to fs swap that add up. Like, brakes lines are too short, shifter cables too short, bottom brackets might be different, hub widths and axle sizes are off. It's tempting to just buy a frame and swap over, but unless I had really top line parts; I'd look at the price difference in selling the old bike and buying prebuilt. The selling of old + buying just frame might be close to buying a complete fs bike with new everything and warranties.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Swapping a HT Frame for a FS Frame

The Anthem is an XC frame but i dont know how similar the geometry is.

Thanks guys this is the info I was after. I realize that the cables would need to be replaced. I guess my main concern is the fork and headset. I never thought of the axel width or clamps for the mechs. I will do some research and not rush into it. Spending ~$1,000 or less for the frame is attractive but I see that there some extra costs to consider.

Fat-tired Roadie
    It's only the front derailleur clamp. And if you move your fork over (very likely possible, though a different headset is likely too) you'd only need to worry about rear wheel compatibility. So this is not insurmountable, but it's good that you're going to take a little time and figure out in advance what you'll need.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Since we are talking Giant here watch the forks and headsets. Giant has gone to the proprietary Overdrive 1.25-1.5" taper fork. There are headsets out there that allow other fork combination but there is a lot of fine print reading.