1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Suspension type for AM bike ADVICE PLEASE

I have been getting mix advice on to which bike I should get. I did a lot of reading and I think all mountain is going to be the type of riding i would be doing. Some of my friends told i should go for a full suspension, other told me to go for a front suspension only because it is easier to hop. I'm a newbie and this is really getting confusing... so any help would be great.. thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's an "AM" bike? How much are you looking to spend? Why do you think you need an all mtn. bike?

Your bike is incorrigible
    There are only two factors you need to consider here. First, how much money are you willing to spend? I decent full suspension bike is going to start around $1200 (I'm thinking Jamis), while a hardtail is going to be significantly cheaper. Secondly, how comfortable do you want to be on the bike? Full suspension makes life a hell of a lot easier by providing more control and taking some pressure off your back. If you plan on riding longer trails with roots and rocks, then go with the full suspension. On the other hand, if you are just going to be tooling around on easier trails, then a hardtail will be just fine.

The fact that you can bunnyhop two extra inches on a hardtail should not make any difference. And, yes, that is about the amount of difference in hopping power between the two. Most of that comes from the tiny bit of added weight a full suspension will have. In other words, full suspension is just as easy to bunnyhop as a hardtail.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks, for the advice! I saw some used full suspension bikes for around 400-850. I found a Jamis Dakar, a Haro X3, and a new Haro X6 for 899. From what I read, the haro is a little on the heavy side. I heard some good things about Ironhorse too.

Your bike is incorrigible
    Quote Originally Posted by ldanny
    Thanks, for the advice! I saw some used full suspension bikes for around 400-850. I found a Jamis Dakar, a Haro X3, and a new Haro X6 for 899. From what I read, the haro is a little on the heavy side. I heard some good things about Ironhorse too.
    I would go with the Jamis Dakar over the other two. The Haro isn't horrible, but it is heavy. Ironhorse tends to make better high end bikes and skimp on their lower end bikes.

Bike to the Bone...
    To quote Dogonfr, another mtbr.com member, check Ibex bikes:

http://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes-Hub-MTB.html

They seem to be a great value, but you must buy from their site. It's just another option to look at.

Also, the advantage of buying a hardtail (or HT or what you refered as front suspension only) is that your skills will be better starting with a HT and later on buying, if you want, a full suspension (or FS).