1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Suspension seatposts...worth it for me?

If you are planning rather leisurely rides in the backcountry on two-tracks and game trails, is a suspension seatpost a good investment?

Thanks,

Jim

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ride mostly on rocky loose stone and rutted ground so invested in a thud buster, not the cheapest solution (around 100$) but imo worth every cent. It doesn't turn your bike into a full suspension setup, and is not designed to, but if you are looking for something that removes all the "chatter" and jarring from uneven ground this is the kit to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You can often find good used Rockshox suspension seatposts on ebay for cheap. I put one on my Norco Charger and it helps to absorb the sharp impacts. There are several on ebay now.
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ost&category0=

bi-winning
    I wanted a Thudbuster, but due to the price, i always held out. Later, my hardtail frame cracked, and i replaced it with a fs, which was what i really wanted.

As mentioned, the thudbuster does not turn your bike into a fs, but it does make the ride more comfortable. The LT model has quite a bit of travel, which imo, can feel a little weird as it swoops rearward. The ST model has less travel.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club