1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Surly Cross Check Single Speed Rear Cog Set-up Help

I'm a newbie to off-road biking...and I'm building up a Surly Cross Check into a trail bike...this bike will never touch the road...(it seems like most info. I see for this frame is "commuter")...

My question is about the single speed drivetrain...more specifically...the rear cog set up. I have on hand a practically new wheelset (from another bike)...a Mavic A719 36h wheelset with Shimano Deore XT M770 hubs...

What are my choices given the wheelset? and/or What would be best?

a) Could I use a White Industries BMX freewheel cog with the existing hub?? If so, how would I install it?

or

b) Go with the rear wheel's existing Shimano freewheel hub and use a Surly Single Speed spacer kit with cog...(with the semi-horizontal dropouts I wouldn't need a tensioner)...

I like the idea of the BMX freewheel cog but I'm unsure of it would work with the existing hubs.

All info...or even pics or descriptions of your existing single speed rear cog set up would be great...

Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2003
    You can't install a BMX freewheel on a hub meant for a cassette. The freewheel requires a specific type of hub designed for a freewheel. Freewheels are threaded on to the hub, so the hub must have corresponding threads to match. A freehub style hub like the M770 does not have the threads required, nor is it spaced right. Check out some online retailers and take a look at BMX rear hubs and/or other hubs designed to accept a freewheel and you'll see the difference right away. That's not to say you can't use a freewheel if you really want to. It would just require that you rebuild the wheel with a freewheel style hub.

Your only option for using the M770 hub for an SS is with the Surly kit, or something similar.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Perfect...thanks.

mtbr member
    you can buy a single speed-specific cog and some spacers pretty cheap. you can also use a bunch of old cassette spacers to space it just right, or some pieces of PVC pipe cut to length.

I think you will find the more useful info here:
    MTBR.com Single Speed Forum - Single Speed FAQ