1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Super Noob

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Super Noob

Hello everyone, Im brand new to this sport. The only mountain biking I have ever done was when I was 16, I took a costco bike up into the Reseda Mounains (LA/Santa Monica). I broke that bicycle. But man was it fun.

Anyway, I just purchased an ATLAS SPORT from Ibex bikes. Now, I was hoping I could get some advice/knowledge from you guys about equipment. Because I know nothing.

Whats dampening?

Whats lock out?

Does the sport have a good fork (Mantou Relic Elite)

Does it have a good shock (Manitou Metel R)

Did I make a good purchase/should I upgrade this bike at all?

From what I understand, the frame and other components are very good on this bike, but I could not find very much info on its suspension system.

First real mountain bike, any info is appreciated. (even for questions i didnt ask. so feel free : )

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dampening (actually, to be 100% correct, you should say "damping")refers to how quickly your fork rebounds or compresses when hitting a bump. Imagine bouncing a basketball on dry pavement - that's not much damping. Now imagine bouncing it off of pavement with an inch deep puddle on top - that's a lot of damping. Or, if you know cars, the shocks are only there to damp the movements of the springs/torsion bars.

Lock-out refers to some mechanism that allows you to lock the shock at some position eliminating any suspension travel. It turns your front fork into a regular 'ol non-suspended fork and turns your rear suspension into a hardtail. IMO it's a useless feature unless you ride on the road a lot.

Those other questions are pretty subjective. If you have fun riding your bike and aren't in some financial trouble after buying it you got a good deal.

When stuff breaks upgrade those things. Don't upgrade anything just because you want to upgrade (unless it's a seat or some other thing that will make the bike more comfortable).

When you're just starting out, the increased fitness level that will come after riding a lot will provide a better performance enhancement than anything you can upgrade on the bike.

Have fun!