Thread: Super Noob

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Super Noob

Hello everyone, Im brand new to this sport. The only mountain biking I have ever done was when I was 16, I took a costco bike up into the Reseda Mounains (LA/Santa Monica). I broke that bicycle. But man was it fun.

Anyway, I just purchased an ATLAS SPORT from Ibex bikes. Now, I was hoping I could get some advice/knowledge from you guys about equipment. Because I know nothing.

Whats dampening?

Whats lock out?

Does the sport have a good fork (Mantou Relic Elite)

Does it have a good shock (Manitou Metel R)

Did I make a good purchase/should I upgrade this bike at all?

From what I understand, the frame and other components are very good on this bike, but I could not find very much info on its suspension system.

First real mountain bike, any info is appreciated. (even for questions i didnt ask. so feel free : )

Thanks

mtbr member
    Dampening (actually, to be 100% correct, you should say "damping")refers to how quickly your fork rebounds or compresses when hitting a bump. Imagine bouncing a basketball on dry pavement - that's not much damping. Now imagine bouncing it off of pavement with an inch deep puddle on top - that's a lot of damping. Or, if you know cars, the shocks are only there to damp the movements of the springs/torsion bars.

Lock-out refers to some mechanism that allows you to lock the shock at some position eliminating any suspension travel. It turns your front fork into a regular 'ol non-suspended fork and turns your rear suspension into a hardtail. IMO it's a useless feature unless you ride on the road a lot.

Those other questions are pretty subjective. If you have fun riding your bike and aren't in some financial trouble after buying it you got a good deal.

When stuff breaks upgrade those things. Don't upgrade anything just because you want to upgrade (unless it's a seat or some other thing that will make the bike more comfortable).

When you're just starting out, the increased fitness level that will come after riding a lot will provide a better performance enhancement than anything you can upgrade on the bike.

Have fun!