Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013

Suntour Raidon or Recon Gold

Looking to upgrade the stock fork on my marlin.And was wandering if it would be better to get the new Suntour Raidon for 189 through the customer loyalty program or shop around on ebay for a Recon Gold.How are these two comparable in performance and weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Raidon weighs 5lbs. The Recon Gold weighs 3.8lbs.
    The next step up in performance and weight savings is a 2012 Reba or Manitou Tower Pro.

mtbr member
    I guess this is my mantra on here. Just be aware that you will be effecting your offset on your marlin by going to one of those forks. You can get forks that are g2 specific but will cost you a little bit comparatively. The manitou's are closer to the g2 offset but still 3 mm shy.

There are countless debates about the offset change being unnoticeable, better, worse....etc.

Personally I'm going to try out a manitou tower in the near future

Fat Is Where It's At Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    I guess this is my mantra on here. Just be aware that you will be effecting your offset on your marlin by going to one of those forks. You can get forks that are g2 specific but will cost you a little bit comparatively. The manitou's are closer to the g2 offset but still 3 mm shy.

There are countless debates about the offset change being unnoticeable, better, worse....etc.
    Was going to mention the same, that's a G2 frame so keep that in mind when selecting a fork because it should be G2 compatible. Having said that the Tower, Reba or even an Epicon will be a great upgrade.

mtbr member
    Basically you can get a Recon Silver, Reba, and Fox G2. I'm sure there is another fork or two out there in g2 but those are the most common I believe. Suntour does not make an aftermarket g2. I'm not even sure if you can buy a g2 except for through an authorized trek dealer unless its used of course. There was a used Fox G2 on ebay the other day under 300 bucks. Usually you can only find them on ebay for over 500

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I think im going to pull the trigger on a recon silver since it is G2 compatible and it will be a upgrade from my suntour xcm. And it doesnt hurt that it is easier on the wallet then others.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    And it doesnt hurt that it is easier on the wallet then others.
    Easier on the wallet can sometimes equate to lower quality and less adjustability.

mtbr member
    The Recon Silver as I understand it is a decent fork. It will certainly be a huge upgrade for you but guys on Fox forks aren't going to be impressed (but you are buying it for the you)

Just make sure that you order it from a Trek dealer and that its G2. You can find a million Recon Silvers on the internet on sale but they aren't likely G2 unless they are used.

Unfortunately that means you will probably pay more for it since you will likely get it for msrp + shop upcharge. I had a shop offer me one at $350. The Reba is even better and can probably be had for a little over 400

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I have a friend who has a 2012 Mamba with a Rockshox XC32 and upgraded to a reba and is looking to sell his old fork.Im sure this would be a upgrade from what I have currently have and may be a decent fork.I may be stopping in the trek dealer and pricing a few forks over the weekend and then making my decision.

mtbr member
    That's perfect if you are looking to save some money. Pretty sure you can get them new for about 150 so used it should be really cheap. It will save you a little in weight but not much but it should definitely ride much better then your stock fork. Its pretty nice though that its already g2 and coming off an almost identical bike.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    What would be a fair price to offer.He lightly rode it for about a month and its been sitting in his garage ever since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just upgraded my fork from the suntour xcm. Well worth the $ to me.
    I haven't seen the specs anywhere on the 2014 Suntour forks, which is what you would get from the loyalty program. Why not the Epicon?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Suntour Raidon or Recon Gold

I can't say enough good things about my recon gold... But i got it at a steal for $238 when it was on sale. Still a sweet fork.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I did not think that Suntour made a decent fork that was G2 compatible.That is why I had not considered the Epicon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Aha!
    G2 compatibility - new concept for me

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Just got off the phone with LBS price for Recon Silver was 400 and XC 32 for 250.It seems like that is way above what I have read other payed for theirs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you are patient, I've seen REBA in under $350 in deals subforum. (subscribe there). This is 2nd highest tier fork behind Sid for XC.

also seen them go as low as $370 one ebay
    reba in Cycling | eBay

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    If I could get a Reba for that price I would definitely get it.At the moment my budget is 350 give or take.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I agree with the last two comments!

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    If I could get a Reba for that price I would definitely get it.At the moment my budget is 350 give or take.
    Get a Manitou Minute (26") or a Manitou Tower (29"), you can find then for that price or less, they're comparable to the Reba's and some people say they're better.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    How does and a Tower and Reba compare performance/weight?

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Disregard last post typed that before I saw previous post

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I believe that's a good question sparky, lots of threads on that topic in this forum.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    Start a new thread in Shocks and Suspension and title it as something like 'Manitou Tower or Rockshox Reba', I'm sure that you'll get plenty of replies.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Like what I have read about the tower.May try to get his fork here Manitou Tower Expert 29er 120mm Mountain Bike Fork | eBay
    My only question is my current fork is a 100mm will a 120mm affect it that much?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Suntour Raidon or Recon Gold

Hi guys
    Maybe a foolish question but what does mean the g2 stuff?

bike tester
    you don't need g2 it's all marketing mumbo jumbo, even the trek racers run non-g2 forks on their frames.

most current forks are 47-48 offset, g2 is 51 you feel no diiference.

this g2 fixation only made sense 5-6 years ago when non-g2 forks were 38mm.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Thanks guys for your help,I think im going to go ahead and order this fork soon New Manitou Tower Expert 29 100mm Black QR Free SHIP | eBay

Cow Clicker
    ^I'm not confident you will really notice $140 worth of difference between the Raidon and the Tower. If you do go with the Tower, keep the old fork and keep the steerer as long as rational so you can swap it to your next bike and put the old one back on your current bike.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Just when I thought I had my mind made up haha. If I go through the customer loyalty program I can get the Raidon for 189.So that is what initially drawed me to the Raidon but I was under the impression the Tower was a much lighter/better performing fork.

B A N N E D
    Apr 2007
    One thing with Suntour forks is that spare parts or replacement can be harder to find then with other brands.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/suntour-fork-replacement-parts-692721.html

Cow Clicker
    The only replacement part is a cartridge and since you are buying direct through Suntour, you shouldn't have the same problem as the guy in that thread who bought it though Amazon.

mtbr member
    The raidon is almost a pound heavier than the tower is it not? Also the tower is a 48mm offset. So 3mm you likely wont notice. I have yet to find the Raidon offset but I'd put good money on the fact that its 46. You might notice 5mm difference.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm likely getting a tower or waiting to see when the Marvel 29's come out.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Well Rock Shox offset is 46 mm "correct me if im wrong" and there is no complaints from their forks on a G2 bike.

mtbr member
    Most Forks are not 47-48. Most forks are 46, some (Fox) can be even lower at 44. Manitou is 48. G2 is not marketing Mumbo Jumbo, Its geometry. Whether or not the change in geometry is noticeable to you is completely personal.

Rock Shox forks that you see for sale aftermarket are 46mm. If you order them through a Trek Dealer to be G2 they will be 51. In regards to if there are complaints you would have to talk to people who have done it. I've seen more people stay G2 or go to a Manitou then go straight 46 offset, at least from what I've seen on this forum. Some people will claim its a large adjustment some people say they noticed it and adjusted.

The only real question is do you want your wheel closer to your frame (shorter wheelbase)? Do you want it to stay the same, be 3mm closer, 5mm closer, or 7mm?

mtbr member
    I just pulled the trigger on the Manitou Tower Expert. Its on sale through the end of the day for $299 at pricepoint. I'll let you know my thoughts on the 51 to 48mm offset change in a few weeks but i'm guessing it will be a lot less noticeable than the significant improvement in the performance of the fork

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Wow that was a good deal,good find.Be sure to let us know how you like it and how the change in offset affected you. I'm at the point now where i'm not sure I want to throw all this money around on it. I'm thinking about just riding and enjoying it the rest of this season and then next year depending on how I like racing and if I want to get more serious and competitive ill sell it and get something better.But like I said still not sure what to do.Any opinions?

mtbr member
    Upgrading vs selling the bike is always a debate. For me personally 300 was the most I wanted to put into a fork (I also needed a new seatpost, saddle, and tires this year) and the MAX i could see getting for my Marlin was $500. 500 is wishful thinking too considering the fork is so beat up and its a small frame. So let's say I got $450 for it (still being optimistic) and wanted to go up to the Mamba which is close to 1000. So now I need to spend $550 and I'm only getting an x32 which imo is a lesser fork then what I'm upgrading too for $300. Now of course with the Mamba I'd be getting slightly better components in a 9 speed drivetrain and hydraulic brakes. I dont care about hydraulic brakes that much and while it is an upgrade in the drive train its not what I want or what I would upgrade my Marlin too. So essentially I'd probably be upgrading the drive train and fork on the Mamba too.

I could spend 1200 on a Cobia but it's still a similar ball game. Closer to what I want but I still feel I have a better or at least equivalent fork. Now at that level I'd probably be fine with the drive train and brakes etc but now we are talking $750 difference. 300 for the fork and 450 to upgrade drive train and/or brakes if I want.

Its totally personal though. For me upgrading the Marlin frame is what makes sense because I dont have $750 to shell out upfront and I can slowly put money into as I go along. I also learn a lot more about my riding style and preferences which will help me personalize the aftermarket components I want later on.

If the fork isn't bothering you I say ride it out. If it starts sticking badly its time to make a decision

Cow Clicker
    At least you thought it through. Keep the steerer tube a bit long in case you ever want to swap it over to a different bike.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I'm still so undecided,I just don't know if it is worth it for me to turn it into a money pit.I thought about waiting for a good deal on a used bike to come along that I like next year and selling mine.But then I start to think well why not build what I have now into what I want,I could always transfer stuff over.But upgraded like I want I still don't know if it would a as capable xc bike as others out there that I could get.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Luke, trust your feelings, use the power of the force.

29ers Forever
    The RockShox Recon Silver is a major upgrade over any Suntour. I have that fork on my Cobia and it works very well. I bet it is no Fox, but you don't need a Fox fork in a beginner stage.

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The RockShox Recon Silver is a major upgrade over any Suntour. I have that fork on my Cobia and it works very well. I bet it is no Fox, but you don't need a Fox fork in a beginner stage.
    ANY Suntour?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I wanted a raison, could almost afford it. This thread is making me double take.

Why all the negativity towards suntour? Not just in this thread but in this forum and bike shops.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Because Suntour is mostly associated with entry level forks and their service presence in the US is ... Small?

29ers Forever
    The reason so many people hate Suntour is that on their basic and mid line forks, there have been many recalls after they malfunctioned and even sometimes split in half.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Re: Suntour Raidon or Recon Gold

Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    The reason so many people hate Suntour is that on their basic and mid line forks, there have been many recalls after they malfunctioned and even sometimes split in half.
    Ya that would do it lol. Can you give me a link where I can get the specifics on these issues? I haven't come across this during my research and what worries me is that I believe the raidon is considered "mid line". I'm I correct?

29ers Forever
    Quote Originally Posted by wilderthing View Post
    Ya that would do it lol. Can you give me a link where I can get the specifics on these issues? I haven't come across this during my research and what worries me is that I believe the raidon is considered "mid line". I'm I correct?

SR SUNTOUR Cycling One
    There were more, but this one was the largest. It is on the XCT, so more basic than the Raidon, but still "Mid-Level" compared to the forks Suntour has on some Department Store bikes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I wouldn't get caught up on the 'mid level' terminology.
    XCT is low level IMO. I would think all manufacturers have recalls.
    Toyota has had a few, that doesn't mean that they don't make good stuff!
    From what I have read the Raidon is a decent air fork, heavy, but works, and works better than the spring forks. I have never seen or used one myself, only going by what I have read.
    Suntour forks are typically serviced by Suntour, which is another thing that doesn't encourage bike stores to promote them. Perhaps rightly so, as service is the question mark in my mind for them.

Cow Clicker
    That was from, what I can tell, a bunch of people taking entry-level bikes on advanced trails and breaking them. I wouldn't get caught up in it unless you ride beyond your abilities or your bike's design limits.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast