1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013

Suntour Raidon or Recon Gold

Looking to upgrade the stock fork on my marlin.And was wandering if it would be better to get the new Suntour Raidon for 189 through the customer loyalty program or shop around on ebay for a Recon Gold.How are these two comparable in performance and weight?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Raidon weighs 5lbs. The Recon Gold weighs 3.8lbs.
    The next step up in performance and weight savings is a 2012 Reba or Manitou Tower Pro.

mtbr member
    I guess this is my mantra on here. Just be aware that you will be effecting your offset on your marlin by going to one of those forks. You can get forks that are g2 specific but will cost you a little bit comparatively. The manitou's are closer to the g2 offset but still 3 mm shy.

There are countless debates about the offset change being unnoticeable, better, worse....etc.

Personally I'm going to try out a manitou tower in the near future

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    I guess this is my mantra on here. Just be aware that you will be effecting your offset on your marlin by going to one of those forks. You can get forks that are g2 specific but will cost you a little bit comparatively. The manitou's are closer to the g2 offset but still 3 mm shy.

There are countless debates about the offset change being unnoticeable, better, worse....etc.
    Was going to mention the same, that's a G2 frame so keep that in mind when selecting a fork because it should be G2 compatible. Having said that the Tower, Reba or even an Epicon will be a great upgrade.

mtbr member
    Basically you can get a Recon Silver, Reba, and Fox G2. I'm sure there is another fork or two out there in g2 but those are the most common I believe. Suntour does not make an aftermarket g2. I'm not even sure if you can buy a g2 except for through an authorized trek dealer unless its used of course. There was a used Fox G2 on ebay the other day under 300 bucks. Usually you can only find them on ebay for over 500

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I think im going to pull the trigger on a recon silver since it is G2 compatible and it will be a upgrade from my suntour xcm. And it doesnt hurt that it is easier on the wallet then others.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    And it doesnt hurt that it is easier on the wallet then others.
    Easier on the wallet can sometimes equate to lower quality and less adjustability.

mtbr member
    The Recon Silver as I understand it is a decent fork. It will certainly be a huge upgrade for you but guys on Fox forks aren't going to be impressed (but you are buying it for the you)

Just make sure that you order it from a Trek dealer and that its G2. You can find a million Recon Silvers on the internet on sale but they aren't likely G2 unless they are used.

Unfortunately that means you will probably pay more for it since you will likely get it for msrp + shop upcharge. I had a shop offer me one at $350. The Reba is even better and can probably be had for a little over 400

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I have a friend who has a 2012 Mamba with a Rockshox XC32 and upgraded to a reba and is looking to sell his old fork.Im sure this would be a upgrade from what I have currently have and may be a decent fork.I may be stopping in the trek dealer and pricing a few forks over the weekend and then making my decision.

mtbr member
    That's perfect if you are looking to save some money. Pretty sure you can get them new for about 150 so used it should be really cheap. It will save you a little in weight but not much but it should definitely ride much better then your stock fork. Its pretty nice though that its already g2 and coming off an almost identical bike.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    What would be a fair price to offer.He lightly rode it for about a month and its been sitting in his garage ever since.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I just upgraded my fork from the suntour xcm. Well worth the $ to me.
    I haven't seen the specs anywhere on the 2014 Suntour forks, which is what you would get from the loyalty program. Why not the Epicon?

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: Suntour Raidon or Recon Gold

I can't say enough good things about my recon gold... But i got it at a steal for $238 when it was on sale. Still a sweet fork.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    I did not think that Suntour made a decent fork that was G2 compatible.That is why I had not considered the Epicon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Aha!
    G2 compatibility - new concept for me

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Just got off the phone with LBS price for Recon Silver was 400 and XC 32 for 250.It seems like that is way above what I have read other payed for theirs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    if you are patient, I've seen REBA in under $350 in deals subforum. (subscribe there). This is 2nd highest tier fork behind Sid for XC.

also seen them go as low as $370 one ebay
    reba in Cycling | eBay

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    If I could get a Reba for that price I would definitely get it.At the moment my budget is 350 give or take.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I agree with the last two comments!

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by -sparky- View Post
    If I could get a Reba for that price I would definitely get it.At the moment my budget is 350 give or take.
    Get a Manitou Minute (26") or a Manitou Tower (29"), you can find then for that price or less, they're comparable to the Reba's and some people say they're better.

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    How does and a Tower and Reba compare performance/weight?

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Disregard last post typed that before I saw previous post

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I believe that's a good question sparky, lots of threads on that topic in this forum.

rebmem rbtm
    Apr 2007
    Start a new thread in Shocks and Suspension and title it as something like 'Manitou Tower or Rockshox Reba', I'm sure that you'll get plenty of replies.

http://forums.mtbr.com/shocks-suspension/

Mountain Biking Madman
    Jul 2013
    Like what I have read about the tower.May try to get his fork here Manitou Tower Expert 29er 120mm Mountain Bike Fork | eBay
    My only question is my current fork is a 100mm will a 120mm affect it that much?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast