1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. Suntour Epicon or Suntour Raidon?

I have a Diamondback Recoil 26" with Suntour XCT V3 front fork and I'm looking to upgrade the fork within the ~200$ or less price range.

I found this 2013 Suntour Epicon X2 Mtb fork (air) on ebay for around $200

2013 Suntour Epicon X2 MTB Mountain Bike Remote Suspension Fork 100mm White EMS | eBay

But then I also saw in the forum that I get can an (air) Suntour Raidon through Nick from Suntour for around $150.

What would be the better option?

Also, would it be best for me to just have a bike mechanic install the fork? I saw at Dick's Sporting Goods that they install forks for $25

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The Epicon is lighter and that is worth the extra. It also will perform better.
    Installing a fork is an easy deal. Here's a vid--
    Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube

mtbr member
    While the Epicon is the better fork read the last few pages of that thread about the upgrades. Seems some unscrupulous "dealers" are selling those 9mm QR Epicons in the US, but they aren't being imported by Suntour NA. Very likely you would have little or no help in the event you had a warranty claim.

Doesn't matter to me, and for $170 I'd probably get the Epicon as well and just hope I didn't have a problem. Just thought I'd point that out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    The Epicon is lighter and that is worth the extra. It also will perform better.
    Installing a fork is an easy deal. Here's a vid--
    Suspension fork upgrade installation - YouTube
    Thank you. Besides knowing the steering tube and brake type, is there anything else that might affect compatibility with my bike? Just wanna know for sure before purchasing it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Normally you want to know the length of the steerer tube is long enough. But this fork is new so you can cut it to the proper dimension. You will be surprised how easy it is to do the swap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Neither, save up $100 more and get a manitou minute. 1 million times better then suncrap