1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Sun SOS or Pure XCR Wheelset?

I am looking to buy a new wheelset to upgrade my vbrakes to disc brakes from bicycle wheel warehouse...are Sun and Pure reputable companies? They are both on sale and I think the white rims would look great on my 2009 Rockhopper:

Here are the specs for the Sun SOS: http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=119

Here are the specs for the Pure XCR: http://www.bicyclewheelwarehouse.com...&productId=130

Thoughts?

Dirt Deviant
    White wheels would look sick. Toss in some Hayes Stroker Trails in white and you'd be big city pimpin!!!!!!

I don't know a ton about the Pure wheels. I know that Sun makes solid stuff. The suns are also a bit heavier, beefier wheels.
    What type of riding do you do? And are you a large person like myself? If so I'd say get the SOS's.
    Look, whatever happens, don't fight the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by savagemann
    White wheels would look sick. Toss in some Hayes Stroker Trails in white and you'd be big city pimpin!!!!!!

I don't know a ton about the Pure wheels. I know that Sun makes solid stuff. The suns are also a bit heavier, beefier wheels.
    What type of riding do you do? And are you a large person like myself? If so I'd say get the SOS's.
    Just bought the Sun SOS due to the fact they are a little more durable. I'll post pics when I get them!