Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sun singletracks on a XC bike

945 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  crazylax42 
#1 · (Edited)
I ve just got sun singletrack wheels for my XC bike, as I found a really good deal on them. I was doing some search unfortunately after I got them) and I see those wheels mostly on DH/Freeride bikes. Do you think it's ok to have them on a XC hardtail? I don't race, just trail riding. Thanks.

#6 ·
Ideal XC Wheelset?

Just curious If a rider stuck only to pavement and firetrails then what would be a good set of XC rims/wheels for the price range the OP probably paid for his SunSingle Tracks (lets say in the range of $150-$200)? Of course with wheelsets, hubs and spokes have to be taken into consideration as well as the rims?

Doc

I'm just an old chunk of coal but I'm going to be a diamond some day.
BJShaver

#7 ·
If you are a a light rider I'd stay away from them. Nothing wrong with heavy rims actually, but lighter ones are more fun on xc trails cos they accelerate faster. Weight on rotating parts like rims and tires are a pain. If you accept that, or if you are a heavier rider and want to forget about your wheels, stick to the Singletrack rims.

#8 ·
Simple answer

A set of Rhynolites laced to Deore/LX/XT hubs can be had in this price range. They might even be overkill for the purposes, but would not have the weight penalty of the Singletracks, and are a pretty common wheelset for XC.

Bob

#10 ·
I got a set of rhyno lites laced to xt hubs off of ebay months ago for $87 shipped. They were lightly used, but when I got them they were true and perfect like they were brand new. They are a little bit heavy, but fine for the kind of riding I do (the same as what you're talking about). I think they are the best purchase I've ever made for my bike. Extremely sturdy, perfect if you are constantly dropping off of curbs, roots, and stairs as much as I do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.