1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Suggestions for decent crankset

I tore my threads out of my TruVativ Isoflows cranks yesterday, so this will be my second pair in 2 months. The first set were Shimano Alivio's and now these. The Isoflows held up well until I put a pair of Mallets C's clipless on and then they were shredded after around 4 hours ride time.

I don't want to spend more then 100.00$ Anyone have any ideas??

Hazzah!
    Dec 2003
    Shimano Deore with an Octalink BB will serve you well..

sweet!
    Last year I was looking to replace my Isoflows on the cheap, I found the FSA Alpha Drive, it has a cro-mo steel threaded insert to prevent stripped threads, they are forged not cast, they don't flex when I put the hammer down, and have a super tough matt-black anodized finish.
    They are available in both ISIS and JIS square BB, mine came with a 10mm poly bash gaurd, the gaurd alone sells for over $30, BTW that is what I paid for the crankset + shipping.
    If you don't need the bash gaurd, buy an outer ring, and sell the gaurd on ebay.

here's a link to the site were I bought mine (the price has gone up however)http://www.bikewagon.com/Shop/Contro...d/0/rid/124765
    Last edited by Diamondhead; 06-25-2008 at 10:21 PM.
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Thanks a bunch for the suggestions fellas.

Do/will I need a crank-puller if I do this,or can I get by with standard tools? My LBS quoted me ~100.00$ for installing another pair of Isoflows,but if I can do it myself fairly easily I would rather take that route.

Diamondhead,do your FSA Alphas have a cro-mo insert?
    Last edited by WindWithMe; 06-25-2008 at 10:08 PM.

mtbr member
    $100 for labor? On cranks?
    Buy yourself a crank puller for $30....yes, you need one to pull cranks. Putting the crank arms back on just requires an 8mm allen wrench (unless octalink cranks use some other retention system, but I doubt it). Crank pullers are my favorite specialty tool....well, chainwhips are damn cool too.

sweet!
    Paid less then $20. for a Pedro's universal crank puller, removes JIS square, ISIS, and Octalink style cranks.http://www.rei.com/product/723014

Yes my FSA Alphas have a cro-mo steel insert where the pedals attach. My old Isoflows didn't have an insert and stripped out after 3 mo use, the Isoflows also flexed alot under my 245 lbs weight, the Alphas don't, they allow me to put down more power because they don't flex.
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    my crank puller was around 12 bucks.. nothing special crank puller, but it hasnt failed me yet.

just get an xt crank and be done with it.. i know its kind of expensive, but it'll probably be the last crank you buy.. and thats cheaper than buying a bunch of crappy cranks and rings all the time.

Drunk Poster
    New Shimano LX Hollowtech cranksets offer a tremendous bang for your buck.
    =)