1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

suggestions for bike i bought

just purchased a specialized rockhopper comp used. i know i need to replace pedals on it and probably get a new chain. looking for suggestions on things that might make it more comfortable on trails. i dont plan to do any extreme stuff(yet). i have spent many years on bmx and road bikes but mtb is new to me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails suggestions for bike i bought-january-2013-032.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Tires ,grips,seat .If you don't like any of those .Ride it until things break /wear out replace. By the way the front wheel quick release should have the lever either pointing up or back less chance of it opening.,

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    plain to do grips this weekend. and already corrected the QR lever. i noticed that too when i bought the bike. i am looking at getting new pedals and found nukeproof electron flats

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If it's an 11 or 12 the weak point is the Suntour fork. No adjustable rebound damping and internal bushings not engineered for multiple bumps limit it to bike paths and easy trails. Put a dual air Reba 2010-2012 or Manitou Tower Pro on and ride as hard as you want.
    Spec has a RS XC28 TK100 on the 13.

Suntour is offering upgrades at good prices including 275 for an Epicon. The thread is in this section.

Last edited by eb1888; 01-24-2013 at 04:33 PM.

mtbr member
    I'd suggest clipless pedals if you plan on riding trails. It's more efficient than flat pedals.

Rogue Exterminator
    I suggest flat pedals.

I guess it all comes down to individual preference what the OP will like best idunno.

As far as upgrades go I would start with brakes and suspension.
    If you are willing to put the money in, upgrade the fork and ad add a front disk at the same time.
    Last edited by rockcrusher; 01-06-2014 at 06:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Why don't you just ride it for a while as is and then figure out what you may want to replace? Nothing wrong with the bike as it sits. What is wrong with the chain that makes you want to replace it? Saddles are certainly personal preference.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i have always used clipless pedals on my road bikes. just figured since i always road well on bmx with flats in the dirt so i figured i would go with flats on mtb. as for the chain, it is pretty rusty(my guess bike wasnt maintained in its later yrs.) the grips are ripped up pretty bad so those will get replaced for sure. the fork on the bike is a Manitou and seems fairly new. no issues that i can tell with it yet. has deore crankset on it. i know this is a basic bike and at some point i will upgrade to something different. i dont want to spend alot on this one because it has been 20 yrs since been on a bike. gotta get past the pain in the rear(saddle) and build up stamina
    thank you all for ur responses. have read alot of things on here. will post later about feel of bike and maybe get some other suggestions once i ride it some. will post pics later.. ty all again

Fat-tired Roadie
    Fit is really important. Sometimes a new stem is part of getting that dialed. Your bike looks recent enough to be cross-compatible with most current parts, so it should be pretty easy to maintain, and to tweak the fit.

Disc brakes are more popular than V-brakes lately, so don't get the wrong thing if you need to replace a wheel, fork, brake lever, etc. Also, V-brakes are pretty sensitive to having nice brake pads. If the bike sat around for a while, some nice, new brake pads - I like Kool Stop Salmon - will improve the brakes' performance quite a lot.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2009
    These guys have great suggestions to get started. Another thing to consider since it's used is a good once over to make sure everything is functioning properly. Make sure it's good and tuned up, either by yourself or by a shop, then consider upgrades.