1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Suggestions for a beginner

Hey how's it going guys? I'm looking to get into the sport, however I am on a budget to start out. I'm looking to spend up to $350, I've been looking at either craiglist or bikes direct. Do you guys have any suggestions what type of bikes to look out for going the used route? Any suggestion or thoughts are appreciated! Thanks.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    I'd visit a bike shop and start riding their lowest-priced bikes. You're never obligated to buy, but buying a bike sight-unseen online, as a first bike will lead to disappointment, for the most part.

The ONLY way to start the ownership process, is to throw a leg over some bikes.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Rogue Exterminator
    For $350 or less, your best bet is craigslist.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You can buy a bike from BD and the sun will come up.
    Ride some 29ers from your lbs for sizing. And sell something to up your budget a bit.
    This Gravity Point 1 is a start. But needs a fork upgrade for more than bike paths.
    Keep researching.
    Save up to 60% off new Mountain Bikes - MTB - Gravity 29Point1 29er Mountain Bikes

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the suggestion guys maybe I'll up my budget a bit more. I'm going to head to some bike shops tomorrow for sizing and looking for some bikes in my price range. Thanks again.

Rogue Exterminator
    Increasing your budget is good option especially if you want a new bike.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Test rides are limited in value because they lack difficult/fun trail conditions like fast downhills with rocks and steep climbs. Do the best you can by riding in and out of ditches and over grass, etc. Test bikes outside your range to get info an forks and brakes and weight.
    Trek and Scott have current slack head tube/short chain stay geo. Spec, Giant and C'dale don't. The BD Gravity has geo closer to Trek.