1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Suggestions for 29fs china carbon frame

Hi,

Thinking about buying a new frame, but I am not to good at interpreting the geometry. I like aggressive frames and it will be used mainly for marathon races, any suggestions?
    I now ride a Canyon AL 7.9 and would like to use as many parts as possible from this, anything in specific I should think about when doing this. For example I know I got a Sram1000 crankset, and as I understand there is a couple of standards for this.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    You'll need a bike that has a pressfit bottom bracket (most likely PF30), and if you want to be able to get a similar feeling bike, you'll need a 100mm travel 29er. Personally, I would not recommend a generic Chinese carbon frame. I know some folks are having good luck with the hardtails and rims, but personally, I wouldn't trust it. Buy something from a reputable company, and spend a little bit more. It'll be worth it.

Now, before we go further, it'd be good to have a little bit more information from you. What is your budget? (numerical amount), main type of terrain, we know you want carbon, but there's nothing wrong with aluminum either. What type of rear axle interface does your current bike have? Head tube size? Make up a full list of all your specs, and take that with you when you look around. Standards aren't too hard to figure out, it's just a bunch of numbers, but they can get confusing and are most certainly irritating!
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the reply, yes maybe its for the best to buy a well know brand. Just that good spec fs29er that is not too heavy is not cheap!
    Have not really set a budget, but as much as I would like a Specialized Epic Carbon Expert does not fit in it Thinking about maybe waiting until fall/winter and see if I can find anything on sale.
    It will be use mainly for cross country marathon races. I am doing some racing know and I notice I cant keep up, and lose some time when it comes to more technical trails.
    If I would go with a new bike what would you suggest and what good options are there? We got the Specialized Epic, Cannondale Scalpel, I also heard good things about Giant Anthem X, any others? I prefer an aggressive position on the bike.

Clueless genius
    Feb 2011
    I have some friends that race Scalpels, and they can't sing that bike's praises enough. Same goes for the Anthem. However, rather than blame your bike first, I would focus on your training for now, rather than spending a large chunk of money on a new bike. Your bike is a very solid rig and should give you no problems; I raced XC the past to years on a 30+ pound all-mountain bike and held on just fine!

Also there's probably a good number of places you can look for used frames. Frames in the class you're looking at are often used for a season, and then sold so the person can have the latest and greatest thing to supposedly give them the edge they need. Use this to your advantage! There aren't really many bad bikes out there these days, so it's really hard to go wrong. If you're shopping for an XC race bike, it'll have an aggressive position no matter what. And that's something you can always change to your liking with different stem lengths and rises, taller shorter, skinnier or wider bars.
    2009 GT Sanction 2.0
    2007 C'dale Prophet 5
    1994 C'dale M400

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Suggestions for 29fs china carbon frame

Last time I checked, the Chinese fs carbon was $700 while the hard tail was $400. The HT has gotten a ton of positive reviews. Check out the dedicated thread on the FS.

Personally, I think carbon overrated for FS, i would just get the lightest aluminum fs frame with preferred Geo o n eBay used.