1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

New question here. Stupid questions about stupid expensive bike

For most of the last five years I have been beating the hell out of an old Kona 26'r hardtail. This year I finally upgraded to something where I will run out of talent before I run out of bike... i.e. a Santa Cruz Bronson-C. I generally have a good understanding of bikes, but I have three newb questions about this one that I am hoping all of you can help with since I had to buy it online and lack the support of a local shop...

1) I have never messed with a 142x12 rear end before. Does this DT Swiss skewer really just screw in like a giant wing nut and that's it? i.e. the most incorrect way of installing a standard QR?

2) This thing has a Fox 34 O/C CTD fork. Are these things suppose to be this noisy? Kind of like you can hear it sucking air through oil as it cycles? It's about on the same level as my Kona's completely trashed and never serviced fork.

3) For the rear it has a Fox CTD Kashima coated shock. Is it normal to have a thin film of oil form on the shaft body? Even after wiping it down, the film will be back after a hard ride.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    1) yes, you can adjust the direction of the release by pulling it out after you have screwed the axle in

2) dont know, but my rockshox revelation makes some noise like that. I kind of like it.
    3) normal

mtbr member
    1. Agree with mojo
    2.where are you riding? If my fork is that active I only hear the tire or trail noise. On a RCT3 but many friends have the Talus 34. No complaints about noise.
    3. It will always feel slick but should not have an oil film.

D_K
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I ride in a glacial drift area. So my trails are littered with roots and rocks ranging from baby heads to boulders the size of desks. Generally my fork is always moving and sometimes it's cycling like a jack hammer. The noise just seemed weird to me since my Kona's cheap fork took numerous years of "seasoning" to work its way up to making that kind of noise.

As for the rear shock, one would think that if it slowly leaches oil it would eventually run out. Guess I need to find someone around here that is good with Fox... which would really be no one.

mtbr member
    Read through the components forum. Someone more knowledgable than myself can help with suspension issues.