1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

Stupid question #2 (fork sizing)

Will a 2014 fox float 34 150mm tappered steerer fit my 2012 medium Santa Cruz heckler?

*tappered cut to 7 1/8 inches.
    *27.5 or 650B

Fat-tired Roadie
    I don't know. Do you have a tapered steer tube? How long is it?

Post a pic of your head tube. It's pretty easy to tell by sight, if you know what to look for.

For length, you can measure your existing steerer. The measurement is from the top of the crown to the top of the steer tube. Just measuring to your top cap is precise enough unless the fit is really borderline. With cut steer tubes that are shorter than what you've got, it's a little harder - you can sometimes make it work by giving up some spacers, but you need at least enough for your head tube, headset, and stem clamp.

For wheel size - I had thought the Heckler was only ever a 26"-wheeled bike? A 650B fork would slack it out a little more and have a ton of extra clearance. So it's a little more of a risk than just getting a fork for the same wheel size you have.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes, you're right. The heckler's steerer is 1 1/8 non-tapered. The wheel size is 26 inches. So these forks will not fit on this bike.
    Does anyone know of any fox shox that will fit on this bike?
    Here are the specs for this bike (scroll down):
    Santa Cruz Bicycles Heckler D AM Complete Bike - 2012 | Competitive Cyclist

Fat-tired Roadie
    How about a Float 34 with a 1-1/8" straight tube? At worst, you might need to hunt up one that's a little older.

If you can pay for it, this is a great conversation to have at your LBS. Retail is really good for getting something specific.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    A non-tapered Fox fork is getting harder and harder to find these days. Even harder if you need one with a 9mm QR. I found that out the hard way. Unfortunately, the majority of older Santa Cruz frames uses the smaller head tube so you can't get around it with a reducer headset to run a tapered fork. If you're looking to get one retail, you'll probably be looking at spending a good $800-1000 for a Fox 34 and maybe a tad less for a Fox 32, which also comes in a 150mm travel, which is what I run. Thats if you can find one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yes. Now the hard part; finding a fox 32 26" with 150mm 1 1/8(non tapered). I never knew this would be so complicated. I've been looking for hours. I'm going to have a LBS call fox to see what they have. You'd think they would have some sort of replacement if someone were to break the older fox forks.

mtbr member
    Pink bike.......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velo99 View Post
    Pink bike.......
    Hard to find even on Pink Bike. I checked. Ebay, even worse.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's weird because the bike is only two years old. You'd think they'd have replacement forks for it.

mtbr member
    If I couldn't of found a fork after a few months of searching, I would of just sold my frame. Thats how frustrated I was. But I took the long way to get the fork I neded. I finally found a Fox Float 150mm for $350 but it was for a 9mm QR. I didn't hesitate and jumped on the deal. I then called Fox directly, since they're in Northern California (I'm in SF) and ordered a new set of 15mm thru axle lowers for $200.00 which came with new wiper seals and decals. I service both my Fox forks as well as my friends, so to swap out the lowers took me about 20 minutes. Fairly simple task. I then sold my 9mm lowers for $100 so all in all, I was about $450 into the fork. Its not an ideal route to take, but its a route if you become exhausted. Fox uppers/stanchions can be ordered from Fox for around $220.00. More if you need a Kashima coated one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks Shakester,
    Lemme know if you come across any. I'd buy new or used. Whatever I can find.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks I'll check them out. I'm looking for 150mm travel (as that is what the original stock forks had). But 140 is probably close enough. Not sure about 100mm. And also, I think that last one is 25".

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Downhill Trail Rider View Post
    Still a tapered steerer tube. I don't think you'll find a 2015 model with a straight steerer tube.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It says 1 1/8, then bellow it says 1.5 tapered. I thought that was an option. Some of them just say 1.5 instead of the 1 1/8. Like this one:
    34 FLOAT 27.5 150 O/C CTD Bike Fork | FOX

mtbr member
    It might be. Is there a reason why you keep looking at 27.5" forks? Just curious

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    Still a tapered steerer tube. I don't think you'll find a 2015 model with a straight steerer tube.
    I actually linked one above.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Shakester View Post
    It might be. Is there a reason why you keep looking at 27.5" forks? Just curious
    That was just an example of one that only said 1.5 for the steerer - just to illustrate that some say both 1 1/8 and 1.5, while others only say 1.5.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I actually linked one above.
    Do you know if there are any with 150mm travel?