1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2007

Stumpjumper Brake Conversion

I want to convert the v-brakes on my 06 stumpjumper HT to BB7 disc brakes.

I compared the 06 stumpy to the 06 stumpy disc on the specialized.com and everything besides the actual brakes themselves are the same. I know i'll have to change the cables and housings but does this mean that my bike is completey disc ready, meaning I won't have to change the hubs, wheelset, etc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    are your hubs disc-ready? Take a look at them, if they have six holes around the left side of the hubs, you'll be able to mount discs (unless they're for Shimano centrelock, then they'll have that style of mount. Also, check your frame to make sure it has the disc holes...it SHOULD (as even my '99 Giant frame has them) but it always pays to check.

If so, then you should be able to mount discs, and all you'll ahve to do is buy the BB-7s, new housing and cables and you're good to go.

Good luck mate!

Tim

mtbr member
    May 2007
    i took another look and the rims are the mavic X317, not X317 disc.

so this means I will have to purchase new rims right?

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    If you have to buy rims just buy nice v-brakes instead. You may not even notice the difference.

Ride the dream
    Check whether the hubs have the 6 bolt holes for the disc rotor.

Whatever the rims are, it wont make any difference to whether or not you can run a discbrake - some rims cant be used with vbrakes (designed for use with discs, reduce weight a little, and improve stiffness) but all rims can be used with discs.

Aslong as the hubs have the 6 bolt holes, and the frame and fork have disc mounts - then you can convert it to disc.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanks guys.

I've installed a pair of bb7's with new cables and housings already. However, I can't seem to get the alignment to work out even though I've followed the avid manual.

In order for there to be no rub between the pads and the rotor, it feels like i have to pull pretty far back on the levers. is this normal? i've already made sure my housings are clean cut and that there isn't slack in the cables.

sweet!
    Thank God for You Tube!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1kezXQVnLY
    "It's a Sledgehamer" "Dang! You got shocks, pegs...lucky! " Napoleon Dynamite & Pedro Sanchez

mtbr member
    May 2007
    yeah i watched that too lol

i'm an idiot. the cable slack adjustment just solved everything for me.

I post too much.
    A non disc rim can be used on a disc wheel without issue. Check if your hubs can accept disc(6-bolt or centerlock) if the answer is yes, you're fine.

There's no app for this.

Disc brake FAQ

is over in the "brakes" forum, upper right. Jim