1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Stuck in a rut

mtbr member

Stuck in a rut

Hey all,

I've been looking into getting a Mountain Bike and start riding again after about 10 or so years but I'm kind of lost... I used to race BMX as a kid so I can ride well per-say I've just never owned a Mtn Bike.

I've been looking at Giant's line, I dont really know what I need though. I'd like to think I need an FR/DH bike because I dont plan on babying whatever I get. Although I dont want to walk my bike up EVERY single hill I come across so I was thinking maybe an AM bike. I just have no clue. I really want to jump and take some heavy DH terrain, but not everything out here is DH, there are some climbs that I'll have to handle in order to get to the fun stuff

So i've been looking at a couple bikes... Reign X0 and X1 as well as the Glory FR. Only problem is that I havent been able to ride these... only shop out here is a JensonUSA and I'm not sure if they stock them.

So all in all, I'm afraid I wont be able to climb a few of the hills with the Glory, am not sure if the X0 will hold up to some of the heavier jumps/drops, and since I've never owned a mtn bike I have no clue why the few upgraded components put the X0 1k more than the X1...

Thanks for your time everyone
    Mike

I post too much.
    A freeride bike usually pedals better than a DH bike if this is of any help.

mtbr member
    At this point anything helps

Thanks!

Long-Haired Freak
    IMO, full suspension bikes are overrated. BMX bikes dont have any suspension and look at how much air they can handle without breaking.
    Id go with a hardtail if it were me, they are a lot better for climbing than a FS.
    One who conquers himself is greater than another who conquers a thousand times a thousand on the battlefield.
    - The Buddha

I post too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bakemono
    IMO, full suspension bikes are overrated. BMX bikes dont have any suspension and look at how much air they can handle without breaking.
    Id go with a hardtail if it were me, they are a lot better for climbing than a FS.
    A freeride hardtail will get you there, a dirt jumping hardtail will feel a lot more bmx-ish, while still holdin' it's own.

On a trail though, I'd go for the freeride hardtail, they climb better usually.

Norco has some pretty solid offerings in that category.

MTB B'dos
    Go browse the GIANT forum and you might just be surprised at what a Reign can take. Hell of a bike that can handle the big stuff, yet is still light enough and has a good suspension design that let's you pedal up the hills.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics