1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Strange feeling today on the bike

I'm a newbee to MTB and this might be a stupid question. Have been riding for 3 months, and doing single track the last 3 weeks. I'm riding / exercising every 2nd day at least. Today something strange happened. When I started off I was feeling unbalanced on my mtb. I thought I just needed warm up and that it will get better. But it got worse, I was so unbalanced and felt out of control on the track, I fell 3 times. (ouch) Nothing changed in my eating habits or exercise routine. Is this something that happens a while after starting to exercise - something like a dip... I don't know. Or is this just something out-of-ordinary-once-off-feeling?

o<o NYC pebble jumper!
    I think you just had one of those days where you just need a V8...
    You may want to get that checked out. Could be your blood pressure causing an imbalance or something worse.
    A quick visit to a DR may be more important than asking someone on the forums about your body.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    " Is this something that happens a while after starting to exercise - something like a dip"

With any form of physical exertion, you can only do so much for so long before you need a break to physically and mentally recover. Pro's and experienced/fit folks in a given discipline are able to work at it at a high load for a longer period of time before they hit that wall.

You could just be experiencing a bit of fatigue from riding. Do an easy ride or two to give your body a chance to catch up and reevaluate yourself. Couple it with all the other standard wisdom of getting ample rest, proper nutrition, hydrate, etc. When I was running track in college, my bad days were bad and only got better when I turned down the training intensity a notch for a day or two.

mtbr member
    Are you saying that you have trouble maintaining equilibrium? Is it just on the bike or is it happening while walking, standing or other forms of exercise? Does it come on only after you've reached a certain level of exertion? Any motion sickness in the car? Losing your balance would not be a normal progression in training; not like soreness or weakness. As mentioned by others, a trip to the doctor might be in order. Maybe it's a minor inner ear infection or something similar.

mtbr member
    Yes l would go to the Doctor's just to be on the safe side.
    Although if it just happened today it is most likely due to your new exercise regime, and nothing more serious than that.
    Let us know how you get on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you answer no to the questions that MSU asked ,then you might need to look at your bike. Tire pressure ,loose wheels or spokes .

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    It could be you have inner ear infection...go doctor to check.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks everyone - will take is slow for a couple of days, maybe just easy road cycling and see how it goes. Will double check my mtb for steady wheels, tyre pressure, ect. I experience it only on the mtb, I don't do other exercise at the moment. It difficult to explain, I just didn't feel in total control the moment I got onto the track. If it doesn't get better, I'll go to the dr 4 checkup. Thanks again, will keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Sounds like you probably just had a bad day on the bike. It happens; had one myself yesterday. Couldn't stay on the trail to save my life, got hung up in spots I usually cruise right through, etc. It happens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've had days where I feel like my stamina has been reduced to half and even had to give up a few times on the trail and walk it out. Nothing changed about me either, I eat well, exercise, bike regularly every 2 weeks, and I wasn't overexerting myself. I always just consider these my off days, but like the other posters have said, if you can see a Doctor then you should. I would see a doctor as well but I am uninsured and poor right now. I try not to overexert myself on day where I am feeling that my stamina isn't running at 100% which is not often enough for me to feel concerned personally.

EDR
    If you are not talking about some bio/physical problem then chalk it up to just being "one of those days".

Some days on the bike are outstanding! Everything from your shock pressure, your feeling in the cockpit, your mental acuity, how you see down-trail while blasting through a rockgarden and not in front of you.....to how you are anticipating the next drop/turn/step-up just all comes together and gels into an effortless kick-ass ride. The trail is smooth, no matter the jaggedness of the babyheads and it's 6 feet wide, no matter the width. It's called being "in the zone" in the athletic world. It's weird, it's fun, it's like riding in slow motion and it's AWESOME when it happens!

The flip side to this also happens. Nothing "feels" right. The fork/shock are too firm. The tires are washing out or bouncing off the rocks too much. Everything is harsh and you can't concentrate because YOU ARE concentrating too hard just to get down the rocky shute without endo'ing. It's awful, it's demoralizing and it's not awesome. I think this may be what you describe.

mtbr member
    I had one of those off days a few weeks ago. The trail felt rockier than normal, my energy level was down, stalled out where never stall, I crashed a few times when I normally never crash, I always seemed to get hung up on spots and never really flowed well and I ran out of water. Plus when to home I got yelled at for my ride taking too long (3 hrs instead of 2.5). Just a bad day all around as I was just not feeling it.

That said it as not medical condition just a bad day. If the situation happens again soon after then I would have more cause for concern.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    If you are not talking about some bio/physical problem then chalk it up to just being "one of those days".

Some days on the bike are outstanding! Everything from your shock pressure, your feeling in the cockpit, your mental acuity, how you see down-trail while blasting through a rockgarden and not in front of you.....to how you are anticipating the next drop/turn/step-up just all comes together and gels into an effortless kick-ass ride. The trail is smooth, no matter the jaggedness of the babyheads and it's 6 feet wide, no matter the width. It's called being "in the zone" in the athletic world. It's weird, it's fun, it's like riding in slow motion and it's AWESOME when it happens!

The flip side to this also happens. Nothing "feels" right. The fork/shock are too firm. The tires are washing out or bouncing off the rocks too much. Everything is harsh and you can't concentrate because YOU ARE concentrating too hard just to get down the rocky shute without endo'ing. It's awful, it's demoralizing and it's not awesome. I think this may be what you describe.
    Exactly how I felt - you just described it the best way. :-) And now I know I'm not the only one that have that 'off days'.