1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Shread Ready

Straightline defactos pedal maintenance. (Squeaking and Chirping)

I'm debating on trying to fix my noisy pedals. They've developed a nasty squeak and chirp this year and it's annoying the hell out of me. I initially replaced my BB thinking that was it but I'm almost certain it's my Straightline pedals making the noise now. It always happens on certain inclines that are say 15-20%. But they are starting to make the chirp noise more and more now. I don't even want to ride like this.

So, I checked out there website and apparently it's supposed to be really "easy" to work on these. All you really need is a screw driver apparently. I also called them. They advised me that I probably don't need a rebuild kit but should take them apart and then clean the bushings with some soap and water. Then apply a small amount of grease to the bushings. It's seems pretty easy but I haven't done this and don't want to mess things up. Mainly the bushings. In the bottom video below they mention using a Screw Extractor to remove the bushings. Does anyone know of an alternative method to remove them that works good? Or has anyone maintenance their straightlines?

STRAITLINE COMPONENTS: Simplicity of Straitline Pedals!

I've never had this issue with other Pedals so it's kind of frustrating. They do mention to maintenance them occasionally in the manual. I've had mine 4 years so I suppose I'm over due. But, I've never had to do this with my other pedals. I don't think I'll need the rebuild kit but I'll see when I take them apart. I have a little bit of side to side play on one pedal but not much on the other.

Anyway, appreciate any help!

Also, the guy in the link below has the same sentiments as I do regarding squeaking!

Singletrack Geek: Straitline Lenosky Platform Pedals - SG Review

This is what also makes me think the pedals are making the noise. I greased all the bolts on my Cranks already and they should be good.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have The Same Problem . LBS said it might be my shoes . i don't know about that.

Picture Unrelated
    Take the clip off of the end, take the pedal body off of the spindle and use soap and water to clean the bushings. You only need to pull the bushings if they need to be replaced.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?