1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Storing mountain Bike?

Hi Guys

I was wondering how is the best way to store a mountain bike? I thought I read that it should be hung up somehow but I dont have a garage to do that. Right now I have it leaning against my workbench in the basement.

Any tips?

Jeremy

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Leaning against anything is good, doesn't have to be hung up...

Course the more you ride it the better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Do you have a mudroom/entry room to your house? I have my bikes hung up in there. We just drilled to hooks into the ceiling. One goes under the seat, the other on the handlebars

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    Leaning against anything is good, doesn't have to be hung up...

Course the more you ride it the better.
    Cheers Jeff, I didnt know if sitting in one spot could cause the tires to have a flat spot or something from just leaning against the workbench. Its good to know that I can leave it there as I dont really have anywhere else to put it.

ski in blue - No I wish I did have a mudroom though.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JerB View Post
    Cheers Jeff, I didnt know if sitting in one spot could cause the tires to have a flat spot or something from just leaning against the workbench. Its good to know that I can leave it there as I dont really have anywhere else to put it.

ski in blue - No I wish I did have a mudroom though.
    After a while the tires will go flat (lose air) but you just pump them up...and they are fine.

More damage will happen if they fall over, adn bend a disc rotor or the Rear Derailler hanger,

I have 5 bikes that are leaned up against each other and they haven't got hurt yet.

mtbr member
    Thanks Jeff, Soon as the winter sets in here the bike will be stored in my basement from about mid November to Mid april. Should I keep putting air in the tires over the winter or just leave them? not that I want to think about winter right now,lol.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Jeff, Soon as the winter sets in here the bike will be stored in my basement from about mid November to Mid april. Should I keep putting air in the tires over the winter or just leave them? not that I want to think about winter right now,lol.
    I don't bother I just check and pump up as required before riding.

mtbr member
    sounds good, thanks

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    eck... go ride it... winter riding is great

one thing to do if you are letting it sit that long is take something like basic petroleum jelly and lightly coat seals on forks, shocks.. anywhere rubbery or plastic stuff is exposed to the air, will keep it lasting longer... coating tires with a thinned P-jelly will help prevent them from dry rotting/cracking also.
    light wipe off with dish detergent on a rag and rinse (no pressure ) will take it off when ready to ride in the spring.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/