1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stop

mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Stop

Just getting into Mountain Biking, quick question. How long do you generally go before you stop to catch your breath and take some water?

Cheers.

mtbr member
    As a rule of thumb, don't let yourself get thirsty. Once you are there you are already putting fatigue on your body. I have a camelback and I usually sip during the whole ride.

Take breaks when you need them. It's good to push yourself but when your body struggles take a break. I usually break when my legs lose some push. Also, if I start running low on overall energy I'll stop and grab a snack.

If you have a regular trail, remember where you ran out of energy the first time. Push yourself past that the next time.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Same as Piratefly already said, but also after climbing a steep/long climb I generally take a break until my breathing comes back under control and drink some water before I head out again.

Some might prefer water bottles, personally I'm with Pirate and wear a hydration pack. Easier to grab a hose and sip than a bottle positioned underneath you and sip.

mtbr member
    About every five minutes..LOL.

If you are just starting and depending on your fitness level, your stamina will suck. Rest when you need it. A hydration pack is the best but water bottles work just fine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    i just started about 2/3 weeks ago and when i started i only made it about a quarter mile on climbs (i know not far at all. LBS suggested i get a hydration pack (live in arizona) so i sip throughout my rides. i did what piratefly said and try to beat my distance on the climb and now i get up to about 1 to 1.25 miles before i break. the climb i normally do is about 3 miles and hope if i keep at it i can make the whole thing so i break at the top. i do take a lot of breaks mainly when i'm losing that pushing power, pause and take a quick sip and occasionally a little stretch then back it. just need to find your rhythm i guess.

Listen to your body. Early in the season I will stop at the top of every hill and more than once on big ones

Never Forget 9-11
    A normal ride for me is about 20 miles. Summertime when it's hot and humid I'll take a break every 5-6 miles and cool off. In the fall/winter I may or may not stop. I drink from the camelbak all throughout the ride.
    It's such a fine line between idiocy and genius.

duh
    like Nat said listen to your body. Take a drink often and never wait till you are thirsty. Also if you go on longer rides even short ones think about taking some gronola bars or similar bars that can give you some energy as you go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

FloridaKeys Fishing Guide

... and if we just ...

Sipping fluids as you ride is the best way to re-hydrate. Stopping and resting is actually not so good as you will feel the lactic acid build up more. Ever notice your legs feel like lead after a stop? It is better to stay in the seat and slow down than to get off the bike. A camelback with water and/or your fave additive is you best bet to stay on the trail... YMMV of course.
    Current ride(s) 2011 Santa Cruz Blur LT

Fat-tired Roadie
    When I can't see my friends anymore.

On a solo ride, almost never. I do eat and drink. But I'm already sitting on my ass. Nobody's holding a gun to my head and making me go hard, so I pace myself. Not that I don't sometimes go hard. But I also recover, cruise at sustainable paces, etc. (Or just sit in my car and gasp for air for a while before I drive home. )
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    I use hydration pack to keep sipping fluids which means Im not stopping all the time for taking on fluid. Stop at the top of most climbs and if its a big one, or late in the ride I try to set myself targets to reach so I push myself a little.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Great advice guys, much appreciated.

Reason im asking is as a former college athlete (basketball and soccer, had to stop due to a horrific knee injury) im used to pushing myself to my limits. Seeing as this is outside my norm and there are not many riders i see on my rides figured it worth asking. Ill track with the runtastic app this weekend and mark my stops and keep this thread updated.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Depends on my frame of mind.

- Training: Stop at the end of the ride. Pace as needed.
    - Interval/hill day: Stop when I taste bile.
    - Enjoying the scenery/riding with friends: Often and whenever there is a nice view.

mtbr member
    Always start hydrating 2-3 days before a ride. Try to drink at least half a gallon of water a day. I drink alomost a gallon of water a day and I do really well on my rides as far as not getting thirsty. If anything I find myself having to find a spot off the trail to relieve myself.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by wgreaney View Post
    Great advice guys, much appreciated.

Reason im asking is as a former college athlete (basketball and soccer, had to stop due to a horrific knee injury) im used to pushing myself to my limits. Seeing as this is outside my norm and there are not many riders i see on my rides figured it worth asking. Ill track with the runtastic app this weekend and mark my stops and keep this thread updated.

Thanks again
    It can be difficult to ride with moderation, but it's really important for those of us with flaky knees.

Think about getting a heart rate monitor. I started training with one recently, and while I can tell when I'm in my endurance zone or whatever without it - I found my zones are pretty much where I think they are - having the damn thing beep at me when I start going too hard for the workout is really helpful in staying on track. Give yourself a goal of completing, say, a month of endurance/zone 2 rides and add volume slowly. I can open up the throttle if I want to now, but I was in a pattern of irritating my knee when I rode, then having to wait a few days, then doing it again for a while, until I took a more disciplined approach. Nothing you can't do without the gadget, but it is helpful.

Good luck!
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Stop as often as you need to. Listen to your body.

toscano
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    Listen to your body. Early in the season I will stop at the top of every hill and more than once on big ones
    I think this is the best possible answer.
    There are no strict rules, there are too many variables.
    And enjoy!

Cow Clicker
    I take one squeeze every mile, but I also watch my heart rate and try to keep it in a certain range depending on the goal of the ride (6 oz an hour in the cold - light squeeze, 12 in moderate temps and up to 24 oz in the VERY hot - big squeeze). I used to ride with a pack, but I found that I drank too much and it was just a bunch of extra weight. Get a cyclometer with a heart rate monitor to help you understand your resting and max heart rate (where you MUST stop or else throw up) and where your cruising HR is.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

T.W.O.
    Well the two is not mutually exclusive. You can take a drink without stopping.

Many variables involve in order to give you more accurate answer, but in general is this. Drink H2O as often as you need, usually you are thirsty, if it's hot double or triple the sipping time.

Stopping, well if you are tired you should stop and rest, but challenge yourself more and more. Pick a spot where you want to stop and when you arrive at that spot if your leg can still keep going then pick another spot. Soon you'd be stopping less.

banned
    Jan 2012
    Title:
    OT: I carry one bidon and its empty after a ride, Stop when your tired and go on when your rested.

Jonesin'
    First stop is at the top of first real climb. My muscles are warmed up and I stretch them. This helps a lot for post-ride recovery, next day soreness (or lack thereof).

Second stop happens when I need to cool down, or am almost too whooped/breathless to go any more. As Nate says listen to the body.
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Don't guzzle water or other fluid. At least for me, if I take gulps every now and then I tend to feel sick to my stomach. Pure water is usually harder for me to keep hydrated with than say Gatorade or a similar salty/sugary mix. I too prefer sips, which are made easier with a cammelbak system. I wish I had bought one sooner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Danielrg_usa View Post
    Always start hydrating 2-3 days before a ride. Try to drink at least half a gallon of water a day. I drink alomost a gallon of water a day and I do really well on my rides as far as not getting thirsty. If anything I find myself having to find a spot off the trail to relieve myself.
    In actuality, hydrating beforehand doesn't do anything. Our bodies don't store water for that long. Any excess water is urinated out. With that being said, you do want to keep your body hydrated. If you aren't drinking enough to keep hydrated in any regular day you'll be starting the ride with a handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by CSC View Post
    Don't guzzle water or other fluid. At least for me, if I take gulps every now and then I tend to feel sick to my stomach. Pure water is usually harder for me to keep hydrated with than say Gatorade or a similar salty/sugary mix. I too prefer sips, which are made easier with a cammelbak system. I wish I had bought one sooner.
    I stay away from Gatorade and some other sports drinks. They often have too much sugar and other junk. Marketing does wonders on convincing that these are the way to go. See the Nutrition forums for reasons and suggestions on what to do for electrolytes.
    Just because you can't hear them scream doesn't mean they don't. Save a plant, eat meat.

Cow Clicker
    Gatorade is for after a ride for me.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by andrwswitch View Post
    when i can't see my friends anymore.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast