1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Stolen!

mtbr member

Stolen!

I pushed it inside the living room (wife LOVES that!) after riding one day while I took my son to baseball practice. While I was gone, she pushed it back outside to clean up, leaned it against the garage. I forgot about it, when I woke the next day to go riding on a brand new trail, it was gone. I filed a police report, but that has been over 3 weeks ago. It's gone.

I am now looking for my next one. The first was a 2004 Giant Rincon. I want to upgrade. I am looking at the Cannondale F6 and the Raleigh Mojave 8.0. I like the components of the 8.0 but the LBS guy spoke about the Cannondale's frame and said I can upgrade components later. Both were in my price range, about 600-700 $US

What are your opinions?

mtbr member
    May 2007

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I hope your wifey is paying for it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rebel1916
    I hope your wifey is paying for it.
    LOL no, I saw it when we got back from baseball practice, and didn't move it inside. Just because it is sitting outside doesn't give anyone the right to take it. I wasn't upset with her about it. I should have moved it inside when I saw it.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    /wave to another NWA rider - I'm in Fayetteville myself

Sorry about the ganked bike, it happens a lot. My brother had a $600 Giant stolen not too long ago.

bang
    she couldn't have moved it to a different part of the room, or in the garage instead? you sure she isn't hiding it from you to teach you a lesson?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by subimp25rs
    I can't stress enough that buying a bike online without sitting on the exact same one localy can be a disaster.
    I usually ride a 19" bike so when I was looking to upgrade my old bike I was looking at a new GT i-Drive, I almost bought a closeout 06 online that had a large frame and thought I would go the my local Performance to see if I really like it.
    I loved the bike but I found that I needed a small frame. I would have made a $1,000 mistake if I bought it online, I could barely touch the ground on the medium and large and never would have know that online.

Just my $.02