1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Stock Seats Suck

I'm just posting this because I recently purchased a new bike. I'm sure the seat that came with it is light as hell but I might as well be sitting on concrete. I'm not too conserned about weight but am concerned about my wallet, which is still on fire from the bike purchase. So I went out and bought a gel pad that wraps my current seat. That helped a little but I definately was feeling the taint about half way through a ride. I realize that some of this has to do with the fact that I haven't biked in quite a long time and need to build up some sort of something down there so that it doesn't bother me. So I went out and checked out some new seats. This is the part where I think I'm just a wimp. All the "Mens" seats I looked at had some softer models, but the "Womens" seats were even more padded. WTF?

Can someone tell me the difference between a "Mens" seat and a "Womans" seat? I'd also like to hear whether or not anyone else feels the same way. I just want to be comfortable.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by smear3
    the "Womens" seats were even more padded. WTF?

Can someone tell me the difference between a "Mens" seat and a "Womans" seat? I'd also like to hear whether or not anyone else feels the same way. I just want to be comfortable.
    i think the reason women's seats are more padded is because they have bigger asses. maybe i'm way off. my stock seat sucked too, and I bought a gel seat cover from wal-mart and I realized it was the biggest waste of $10 i've done in a while. you should try out some different seats and see which is best.

Bike to the Bone...
    sometimes I feel like marrying the saddle...

When I started riding I also bought the gel cover, but I dropped it after a while.

I don't think there's a universal 'best' saddle. I have tried some, and have been fine. My last two I really like: WTB Rocket V and Selle San Marcos Arami Gelaround.

I tried a Specialized Body geometry 2 saddle on my first hardtail and liked it. After a while, I bought one again for my FS bike, but really didn't like it.

There are several factors which might help, but it might end up with personal preferences and butt size/shape (actually sit bones, most probably). I'm not sure since I haven't compared too many saddles, but I think that for me a narrow saddle with mild padding is best (too much and it feels very mushy when peddaling, and none and it's a rock down there).

I think that you should try your saddle for several rides. Usually, when one starts riding, no matter what saddle your riding, you'll end up butt sore. You need to get a little used to riding, after that, probably you will get more used to the saddle. If you don't like it, you can try others.

I play hard to want
    I thought my stock seat sucked at first too, but I was broke from buying my bike and couldn't afford a new saddle. Well lo and behold after about a month of riding, I noticed that my stock seat is now actually comfortable.

Freshly Fujified

Look at WTB

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969

I don't think there's a universal 'best' saddle. I have tried some, and have been fine. My last two I really like: WTB Rocket V and Selle San Marcos Arami Gelaround.
    I would agree with rzozaya's comments here. It's really a matter of the rider's preference. WTB saddles have a reputation for being well made and well engineered, and while no saddle is perfect, WTB does seem to have a nice combination of fit, comfortable padding, and firmness. It's a tough formula to get right every time, but they do a nice job and ar a good place to start. They have several different models, all ranging in width and amount of padding.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Not ALL stock seats suck.

I used to think WTB was the bomb, until a Fizik Gobi came on my new bike.

More padding and contact area is not the answer. The more area you have contacting your ass, the more places there are to hurt.

I think this seat looks odd, but it is so comfortable that I am borrowing it for a road bike century I have coming up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

~I Ride In Circles ~
    My bike came with it's stock KHS padded cheapo saddle.. I don't mind it.. granted I've never done any monster rides where on sitting on it for 6+ hours. I think that you need to get used to your saddle in a way..
    [SIZE=3]
    ~ it's all good ~
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    not sure about the women's saddles being softer issue, but my guess is that it has something to do with internal (female) parts vs. external (male) parts. those cushier seats will push MORE into your soft tissue and create more circulation/numbness/pain problems. there are several diatribes about seat designs on this forum that explain things better than i can.

i second the WTB recommendation. i love mine and it's one of the lower end models. and i have an 'aireone' saddle on my road bike that i paid 15 bucks or so for that is way more comfortable than the selle italia saddle that came on it.
    Last edited by hogwash; 05-18-2006 at 07:28 AM.
    will there be beer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Y'know, I thought the gel seats were more comfortable. But, I was mistaken. Check out Sheldon Brown's website. Click here for his article on saddles. It's all about your sit bones and proper fit. Ditch that gel stuff. Put some miles on your saddle and your butt will feel better.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Good article on saddles. I'll give the "gel" saddle that I bought some time and if it ends up making me sore on long rides I'll switch back to the stock to see if it was just a matter of builing up the ole taint muscles. As it is now I've been on some 8-12 mile rides with the new saddle and seem to be happy with it. I didn't realize it until the other day when I was throwing away the packaging that it was a "womens" saddle. Honestly I don't care...it seems comfortable to me, so I guess I have child bearing hips. LMAO

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by smear3
    Good article on saddles. I'll give the "gel" saddle that I bought some time and if it ends up making me sore on long rides I'll switch back to the stock to see if it was just a matter of builing up the ole taint muscles. As it is now I've been on some 8-12 mile rides with the new saddle and seem to be happy with it. I didn't realize it until the other day when I was throwing away the packaging that it was a "womens" saddle. Honestly I don't care...it seems comfortable to me, so I guess I have child bearing hips. LMAO
    Hey, your mileage may vary. Do what feels right.

One thing, though. You say it's your "t'aint" that hurts. I don't know what your gel saddle looks like, but most quality saddles have a groove running down the middle now to accomodate that part of your anatomy. You might look into that, instead. The only thing that should really be hurting during your break-in period should be your tissue over your sit bones. Anything else means your saddle isn't supporting you correctly. I have a Specialized "Body Geometry" saddle on my bike. I rode 28 miles on the weekend and 17 miles today. No pain. It's not a gel saddle, but it has a groove in it and my sit bones are correctly positioned over the saddle. Look into it, dude.

Or not. It's your ass and your t'aint.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    The seat I bought has that going down the middle too. So far it seems to be working out.

mtbr member
    my mesa came stock with a wtb speed v which i quickly replaced with a specialized body geometry saddle. probably the most beneficial and smartest upgrade i have made.