1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Smile Still new to biking thinking of picking this up 2007 Specialized Hardrock

Hello. I just want some opinions on what you guys think. I saw this on craigslist and I think its a good deal or should I wait till I have more money? Was also kind of thinking maybe saving up and getting a Giant Yukon FX or Giant Talon 27.5

08 specialized "hard rock" mountain bike

Currently I have a Trek 07' 820 but the frame is way to big for me and I thought this specialized hard rock would be a better bike for my commuting needs and some light trail rides. Please advice. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I had an 06 disc pro and that was probably one of my favorite bikes. It just agreed with me. As long as it's in good shape it's a good base. I would consider a better fork if you're doing more than light trails, but besides that it should get you started and the price seems good.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank for responding. The thing that kind of bothers me was he said something about how he custom put the disk brakes on. Not entirely sure what that means. He told me he bought it used a few months ago never rode it and wants to sell it. Is the disk brakes something I should be concerned about?

Fat-tired Roadie
    You're right, that does look like the '07. I have one too, though mine started life with discs and doesn't have canti posts.

I wouldn't worry about "custom discs." They're only as custom as bolting a production part onto a frame that's designed to receive it. They may not be any better than V-brakes, but they're not a lot worse either. Price is reasonable, if the bike goes, stops and shifts.

The fork on mine blew, and it was probably fancier than what's on that bike. If you find it bothers you, you can spend about $80 on a rigid or about $300 on a nicer suspension fork. If a "real" fork is the way you're leaning, by doubling down (well, probably tripling down, given how little he's asking) you can get a secondhand bike with a really nice build for mountain biking for $600ish. But, if you lock it outside when you commute, that may be too much exposure.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

I'd rather be on my bike
    If that frame fits you, go for it. The price is pretty good, and like mentioned above....custom could mean they swapped out the rotors for a different kind. There isn't much you can do to make them "custom". The word gets overused, as does retro, vintage, and special edition.
    '13 FELT TK3 48:15
    Fixed gear - but not a hipster
    2014 miles - 1128/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you all for the input. Unfortunately, I took to long and he sold it. Although looking at some other bikes on craigslist I came across a 2009 Kona Blast Thoughts or suggestions? Heres the link

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/bik/4557423769.html

Fat-tired Roadie
    Listing's five days old - does he still have it?

$350 is high but ballpark for that bike.

Can you get the size?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the response. Its a 17.5" so you think thats a good size considering im about 5'6 - 5'7. He still has it and told me he would lower it to $300

I'd rather be on my bike
    That link will not load for me for some reason. What is it?
    2014 miles - 1128/2500

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    It is a 09' Kona Blast. There are so many damn bikes out there and I know everyone has there favorites but I really just want a good reliable and durable bike thats not going to break my pockets. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it
    Last edited by robmoto; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:58 PM. Reason: adding more info

Fat-tired Roadie
    I'm 5'8". I ride a 17" or 18" frame in most brands. They tend to be pretty comparable, actually, which is one of the reasons I sort of like just calling them "Medium," which some brands do. Anyway.

I think you should looks at 15" through 18" bikes. I think 5'6"/5'7" is on the cusp, and different brands have different interpretations.

If you haven't visited a shop that does used bikes yet, do that. You can ride a bunch of bikes, and maybe you'll find one that you want and fits your budget.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
    It is a 09' Kona Blast. There are so many damn bikes out there and I know everyone has there favorites but I really just want a good reliable and durable bike thats not going to break my pockets. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks everyone for the responses. I really appreciate it
    The Kona Blast is a solid bike. Seems perfect for what you are looking for. Go for it if it fits you well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thank you for the responses. I have one last favor if anyone can tell me if this is a good buy. I think its a 2012 Specialized Hardrock 29er? When i was doing research I can not find anything with a frame like this one in the craigslist ad. Some one please advise on weather or not I should get this one or the kona blast. Thank you in advance for the help...

Specialized Bicycle

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    imo, the kona geo looks better than the hard rock. plus people here seems to think that the dart fork is better than the sun tour xcm that the spec has, but for $200 is not bad.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Sometimes alternate paint schemes make it hard to date bikes precisely. People often give the wrong years in classifieds too. Try bikepedia.com for more pictures, and check alternate years in the Specialized archive.

I'd rather be on my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by robmoto View Post
    Thank you for the responses. I have one last favor if anyone can tell me if this is a good buy. I think its a 2012 Specialized Hardrock 29er? When i was doing research I can not find anything with a frame like this one in the craigslist ad. Some one please advise on weather or not I should get this one or the kona blast. Thank you in advance for the help...

Specialized Bicycle
    That is not a Hardrock, that is why you cannot find it. I believe that it is either a Specialized Myka Sport Disc 29 or a Specialized Jett. If you take a look at this picture, you will see that it is identical. Also, do a Google image search for Specialized Hardrock. None of them have that sloping top tube. The Myka is a women's bike, as is the Jett.

2014 miles - 1128/2500