Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stem installation question

920 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  theMeat 
#1 ·
I think Im on the way to figuring this out but I thought Id ask here before I break something and embarrass myself in front of the guys at the LBS. Im in the middle of replacing the stock stem on my Stumpy FSR with a 50mm Atlas Stem and I can't quite get it on right. There is about a 2-3mm gap between the top cap and the spacer. Its just enough that the spacer rattles around and isn't seated. The top cap is one of those Specialized wagon wheel offset caps, and I suspect that its whats causing the problem. The bolt for the top cap seems like I could torque it down quite a bit more but when I started to it started to feel like I was forcing it and I didn't want to strip anything. Am I correct that the offset Specialized top cap is the problem or could it be something else?

#3 ·
The Specialized top cap goes with a Specialized stem. Was it one of those angle-adjustable ones? You need a plain top cap.

Also, you probably need another spacer.

Finally, I wouldn't ask the clowns on here anything. ;) Here's an article from a reputable company. Skip most of the way down the page.
Park Tool Co. » ParkTool Blog » Threadless Headset Service

I highly recommend that web site for almost every maintenance or parts swap task on a bike. Good luck!

#5 ·
Fairly sure it is. Thanks for the tip about Park Tools website, didn't know they had that info there. You and the clowns have given me plenty of good advice here though.

<--- Clown.

Andrew, don't teach a man to fish. I enjoy giving them away one at a time. :D

The Park Tool site rocks.
Lol, Ill still take the fish welfare too! The more sources of info the better IMO.

And thanks to everyone for the quick replies and for the info.

#7 ·
Think it's a good idea to point out to someone who's not aware that when everything's together with enough spacers for your length steerer, there should be a gap/space/room to squeeze/adjust bearing tension before you tighten down the stem.
There's a picture about 60-70% down on the linky Andrew posted that says "gap here"
Watching someone or a vid can help big time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.