1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    SSolo
    Apr 2008

Steer tube length?

I'm looking at used forks and need to know how do I measure my required steer tube length? Do I have to disassmble anything?
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

You only have to.....

remove the fork from the bike if you want to be precise. You can get a very good idea by simply measuring from the top of the fork crown to the top of your stem with the fork still on the bike. What I usually do when sizing for shopping for a used for is add a bit to that measurement. You'd be amazed at how many people don't know how to correctly determine fork steerer length.

So take your tape measure and stick the little tab on the end in the notch between the crown of the fork and the bottom of the head set and the just measure straight up to the top of the stem. That's the minimum lenght you should be looking for in a used fork if you like your bar height the way it is now. If it comes up to something goofy like 7 3/16" you can round it down to 7" or round it up to 7 1/4". Personally to be on the safe side I always round up to the nearest 1/4" and plan on trimming the steerer to the correct lenght once I have it. It's always better to have more steerer tube than you actually need. You can always trim it down to the correct length, you can't add more if it's too short.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

SSolo
    Apr 2008
    Thanks looks like mine is 9" or just over!
    Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life son...