1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    Super Clyde

Steel vs. Aluminum vs. Carbon

I'm sure this has been covered ad nauseum, but this is kinda of specific to me. I'm a Super Clyde at 6' and 345#. I demoed a Niner Air 9 RDO today and I liked it a lot, but I'm a little hesitant to buy carbon because of my size even though the Niner rep said there's no weight restriction on their carbon frames. He said it I was hesitant to buy carbon I might like steel better than alloy. I haven't ridden steel in over 15 years and I was too young to know there was a difference in feel between alloy and steel. What is the difference in feel between the 3? Which ever frame I get I will be building it up with a lefty fork and X0 components.

Sent from a telecommunication device with a touch screen keyboard.
    I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

T.W.O.
    Not really a whole lot. As for the ride quality it's not so much the material anymore. Designer can make any material ride like another by manipulating shape and size of the tube. If you like the affordable price go with the Alu, classic feel why not steel, bling and light weight then carbon.

If the rep said there's no weight limit and you can verify that then it's all good. If carbon is so fragile there would be tons of lawsuits, I've not heard of any. That said, right tool for the right job. Air9 RDO is a XC race frame, and while every one like light bike is it the right bike for you? If you are into more descending than climbing then ROS 9 would fit the bill better.

I like pie.
    In my experience steel gives a better ride than AL. My HT is high end steel and it is a pleasure to ride. I've tried a bunch of good AL HTs and they were fine, but did not have the smooth ride of my HT.

As to Carbon, I have no experience. But the idea of a nice riding frame that is two pounds lighter is appealing. OTOH I could get a custom steel frame for less than an off the rack Carbon frame.

Fat-tired Roadie
    I wouldn't worry about the Niner carbon if you can afford it. An acquaintance of mine observed that carbon rims have taken over from aluminum in competitive DH because it's possible to make them stronger. Read the warranty terms, if you're worried.

Bear in mind that regardless of material, a bike frame will be as strong as it was designed to be.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

TXTony
    Intended purpose...warranty..verify through the manufacturer..and pretty much what the others have said..I think my next rig is going to be steal for trail use...rigid...