1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2008

state of tubeless tires?

Hello, I was talking to the service guy at the bike shop about tubeless tires and he mentioned that he doesn't see them as much as he used to. Have tubeless tires lost popularity? If so then why and what type of rider/bike tends to use tubeless tires the most?

I had tubeless tires on my last bike and I wasn't a fan. Primarily because my tires went totally flat in 2-3 days so they were a big hassle to reinflate. Not sure if this is one of the main reasons why tubeless tires have lost popularity or if there other reasons?

mtbr member
    Huh? When you say tubeless...are you talking about tubeless-ready or UST? I think UST is fading in popularity relative to tubeless-ready setups due to their lighter weight. This is 2014, tubeless is a mainstay for many but tubes are certainly still be used by the majority would be my guess. If your tires went flat in 2-3 days and were hard to re-inflate, something was wrong with how they were set up.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Tubeless is still an imperfect science, and even more so when you stray from known good performing tire/rim/tubeless system combinations, and then (of course) the execution phase of putting it all together matters too. It's not for everybody, especially if you're unlikely to tackle it yourself and know what all is at play in a tubeless system.

Using an innertube is super simple when the time comes that you just want some air in your tire so you can go riding. If you rarely get a flat, maybe it isn't truly cost-effective to go tubeless, and it's possible that you also don't worry about a small performance boost that tubeless gives to either. I don't believe that tubeless is the best choice for all, but it is for me. I live where goatheads can be problematic, and I am prepared to deal with keeping the tubeless systems I have maintained.YMMV.

If your tubeless system loses all of it's air in a few days, something definitely isn't right.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I would say 80% or more of the experienced riders I ride with are running tubeless of some sort. Newwer riders just something extra to worry about, but if you race or do any long endurance riding tubeless is still a huge advantage IMO.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!

mtbr member

Re: state of tubeless tires?

Only way to go is tubeless. Mine stay inflated for months.......I ride alot of XC but also free ride.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2