1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Starting New

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Starting New

Howdy folks! Just wondering if anyone could give me a little help with my new adventure? After 4 knee surgeries from running and basketball common sense has prevailed and I'm about to enter the world of mountain biking. I'm 6'2 and weigh approx. 205 and willing to spend about $700 on a new bike. Any suggestions on make/model/and size? (Friends keep pointing me to 2007 Trek 6000) Most of my riding will be done 50/50 between roads and trails and I plan to ride about 20 miles each day (12 miles to and from work with the occasional detour to explore). Looking forward to any and all input. Thanks for listening and I can't wait to start riding

pronounced may-duh
    Trek makes good bikes. But in general I think you should go to your LBS and try them out. Buy the one in your price range that fits and feels the best. At 700 stay away from full suspension. 700 should get you a very nice entry level hardtail

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    Yes, definetaly stick with hardtail. And do go into the LBS and check it out, even though they will try to sell you on a certain bike, its worth it.
    Trek, Specialized, Giant, Cannondale, GT.....the list goes on, and each company makes great bikes, but each person will be biased towards one or the other just because it's what they ride.
    For me it's Cannondale
    but go try it out, find whatever bike suits you best (best price, fit, etc) and ride it into the ground
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

Vita brevis
    Size is important. Figure out your inseam by holding a broomhandle or something between your legs (straddling it) so that it just misses your goodies. Then, making sure it is level, measure from the stick to the ground. This is called your standover measurement. In the back of any bike company catalouge they will have a fit chart. This will get you in the ballpark. Being 6'2", you will probably be looking at at least a 20" frame, but be sure to ride several bikes if possible. As other posters have pointed out, with a budget of $700, a hardtail (no rear suspension) bike is your best bet. Hopefully you have a decent bike shop in your area who will help you find what you want rather than what they want to sell you. Good luck.