#@%&

Starter bike for taller rider

My little brother (by little I mean tall) is determined to start riding with me. He's 16, 6'2", about 200lbs.

He needs a good starter bike that will at least hold up. My thought was a Trek 4 series (that's what I have). He's looking to spend anywhere from 300 up to 700 if need be. New or used.

Problem is, I found my bike pretty quickly, but that's because it's more of a standard size, 18". He needs at last a 21", and the bike shop told him he should be on a 29er tire. It's hard to find used good bikes, since the size is not as common.

I told him he can start on a 26" tire, and later upgrade, but is that pointless?

What brands and models should he be looking for? We are going to be doing mild-mid biking, extreme as he can handle at first. All off-road single track.

Thanks guys.

poser Administrator
    check out the offerings from redline in their 29er bikes, look at the MTBR classifieds to get started. At his height it might be difficult to find an XL 26er but not so hard to find a L 29er, especially in the classifieds.
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    FWIW, im 6'3" & ride a M sized frame Giant 29er. your brother needs to try different sizes to see what feels best to him, not what the LBS tells him he NEEDS to be on. 26 or 29 both have ups & downs, plus if he gets the MTB bug he will be adding to the stable anyways.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    For what it's worth, I'm also 6'2" and 220lbs and after testing out a few bikes yesterday, I ended up spending a little more for the Fuji Outland 29er 3.0. I'm sure that's not the only bike that would feel good, especially since it's a full suspension (I have a bad lower back so the extra suspension in the back is preferable over a hardtail), but I had the funds to do it. What I will say is that there was a pretty big difference in stability and handling that I noticed between that one and the cheaper models that were $500-$600, but if the money's not there then it's not there. The only definite I would say is to stick with the 29er if he likes it, as I didn't like any of the standard 26" ones in comparison.

I by means am no amateur even, as I just bought my first bike yesterday along with the goodies for it in preparation of a Moab trip in October. The above is what I found to be true for me, though, and I'm similar to your brother.

#@%&
    Thanks guys for the advice!

mtbr member
    You might take a look at the Clydesdale forum. Lots of info there as well.

mtbr member
    Eastern Bikes 2010 Shock BMX Bike
    Product Features
    - Eastern designed 18.5" toptube frame with lowered standover height and Eastern Promise.
    - 25/9 Micro-drive gearing
    - Cable detangler
    - Eastern Shaft 3 pc. cranks with sealed mid bottom bracket
    - Forged alloy u-brakes