1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Starter Bike

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Starter Bike

I've been on the sidelines of riding for a while now, my last bike was a BMX bike made by diamondback. Now im looking into getting a bike mainly to have fun on, ramps, stairs, etc. And the occasional off-road riding. Basically a bike to have fun around town on. My friend had a Giant STP and i tried it out while he had it and I liked it.. but is that a good bike to start out on for that kind of riding?

Any suggestions bike wise would help out a lot. Along with anythign else you might feel the need to share.

Thanks

mtbr member
    The Giant STP is a dirt jumper/urban/slope style kind of bike. Spot on if you want to continue your BMX career on 26" wheels. But don't think about riding this bike cross country fashion for 2-3 hours on a trail. That is simply not where it rocks.

Not sure you'll find a capable play bike that also rides well on trails. The required geometries are just so different.
    "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit." - And I agree.