1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Feb 2014

started mountain biking.

For valentines day my wife gave the green light to build a mountain bike. so i started piecing it together bit by bit.

Frame: KHS Alite 500 size Large
    Fork: Sr Suntour XVM
    Wheels:Sunr Rim DS2-Xc
    Brakes: BB7'sd using an adapter for the back wheel to go from cantilever to disk brakes
    Tires: Maxis Ignitors
    Truvativ Handle bar
    Avid brake levers
    wtb gribs.
    jagwires for the cables.
    sram x-9 rear derailiuer
    sram x-5 shifter

it is a 1x9 setup with a 36t front chainring and a bbg bashguard. all in all it was a fun build and fun to ride. but i have broken a few parts here and there. i have a new race face crankset on the way and hopefully that will clear up some of the last issues i have been having.

started mountain biking.-20140405_121606.jpgstarted mountain biking.-20140403_072343.jpgstarted mountain biking.-20140325_073137.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice looking bike. Just a note and its not a big thing since the BBY7s are mechanical but on the front brake line, run that to the inside instead of the outside. With hydraulics, if you happen to lay the bike down on that side and it catches a rock or something sharp, it could rip the hose leaving you with no front brake which could still get you back to the parking lot with only the rear brake, but still sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Congrats on the build. That's a pretty ambitious project for a beginner; looks good.

That second picture threw my off big time for a few seconds there.
    Keep a close eye on the chainstay; IME frames that weren't designed to take braking forces on the chainstays have a bad habit of cracking if you start applying them in a place they're not expecting.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Re: started mountain biking.

I plan on running a support up to the cantilever brake mount. Similar to the brake therapy set up. With this bracket there is a mount around the rear axle that takes a decent amount of force.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    That should help a lot. Good call.
    Nice attention to detail yo!

Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

I suffer from being attention detailed. And also thinking that if I set my mind to something I will do. Hence the ambition to just build my own bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    How is the brake alignment with the adapter? I'm thinking about putting one on my gf's bike when we upgrade her rear wheel and go to a 1x9 setup cause she never uses the front gears. I already put my old fork, disc brake and front wheel on her bike. I'm basically just building on her frame with my leftovers

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

The alignment was a bit off. I ended up using a fender washer as a spacer on one of the Isis to post mount bolts and that put it back into true. the bb7 brakes allowed to adjust the inner and outer pads helped a lot too.started mountain biking.-uploadfromtaptalk1402748456977.jpg you can see the washer here.