1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Stand-over height question - What size bike?

The bike I am looking at is offered in a 17" and a 19" model. The manufacturer states that the 19" fits most riders 5'9"-6'1" while having a stand-over height of 31.7". The 17" fits most riders 5'5"-5'8" and has a stand-over height of 30.9". I'm was considering the 19" but my inseam is just barely over 32" and I'm a little concerned it may be too big for me despite being 5'11", but am worried that the 17" may be too small. Unfortunately, I cannot try the bike out beforehand (I know a big faux pas), but this is a beginner bike and doesn't cost all that much. So, based off of that info. which size would you suggest? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Do you have access to any bike that you feel fits you? If so then measure the distance from the seat tube to the steerer tube. Compare that to the 17" and 19" of the models you're thinking of buying. Get the one closest to the measurement of the bike you felt fit.

billyboy197
    Mar 2007
    Based on what you have said I would go for the 19". The standover height is important but not as important as the top tube length if you are 5'11". The top tube length will change with the bike size too. If you go for the 17" you may be too cramped and then be having to fit longer stem and layback seatpost to get comfortable. For example I had a specialized FSR and the S,M,L all had the same standover but different top tube lengths!

Having said that though different riders like different things, there is no right or wrong with MTB sizing to within reason (I assume you are talking MTB) and it will all depend on your intended riding style. If you are riding classic cross country then the larger frame should be fine. If you are going a bit more technical then the smaller frame might be better. Be carefull though as no two manufacturers size bikes the same. If you tell us what the bike is it would help get an idea.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the responses. The bike I am considering is the Forge 5xx sold at Target.com. From my understanding it is the same bike that Giant sells in different markets. As for style of riding, this will be my first mountain bike. I have wanted to get into the sport for quite some time, but realistically never had $600+ to buy a bike. I started reading reviews again, and many people said the 5xx was a solid bike with good components for ~$300. Since this will be my first bike, I really have little idea what kind of riding I will be doing. I imagine I will be sticking to trail riding this year and may progress to downhill next year since my ski pass gets me free gondola/lift rides at some of the resorts in the mountains.

Thanks again for your help.

There's no app for this.

before you go

this might help, pay attention to the Top Tube part...that's the key. Jim

Here