1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: SRAM vs Shimano

  1. #1
    1.21 Jigowatts!
    Reputation: brubakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    236

    SRAM vs Shimano

    I found a simple chart here that shows the hierarchy of the Shimano brand. Does anyone have something similar for SRAM? Maybe one that shows SRAM and Shimano side by side. I need to know what compare before I buy something thats crap.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

  2. #2
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Quote Originally Posted by brubakes
    I found a simple chart here that shows the hierarchy of the Shimano brand. Does anyone have something similar for SRAM? Maybe one that shows SRAM and Shimano side by side. I need to know what compare before I buy something thats crap.
    Sram is pretty straightforward, the higher the number, the better it is.

    sx-4
    sx-5
    x-7
    x-9
    x-0

    As simple as that. No rocket science is needed to understand this IMO. Just on the shimano website from they way they are placed on the page you can tell. The lower-end components are at the bottom of the list on the left side, and the best ones are in the top.

    http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...=1177935871819

    See for yourself, click the link. The only change to the list I would make is put saint and hone overtop of XTR, just because they are a much stronger component group and more targeted towards downhill and freeride.

  3. #3
    I post too much.
    Reputation: snaky69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,448
    Be aware that you will need sram shifters in order to make the switch to sram. Sram shifts crisper at any given level than shimano does, stays in tune longer, and flops around a lot less making for a much quieter ride. I've had an sx-4 that shifted as well as XTR, and I banged on it an awful lot, and I have never had to adjust it.

    Go SRAM, you won't regret it.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZQf1bduGYs

    You may want to take a look at this...

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,736

    Here you go....

    SRAM Shimano

    XO XTR
    X9 XT
    X7 LX
    SX5 Deore
    SX4 Alivo
    3.0 Accera

    That's pretty much the way the food chain falls.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  5. #5
    1.21 Jigowatts!
    Reputation: brubakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    SRAM Shimano

    XO XTR
    X9 XT
    X7 LX
    SX5 Deore
    SX4 Alivo
    3.0 Accera

    That's pretty much the way the food chain falls.

    Good Dirt
    Thanks everyone, I think I have a handle on it. The DB response comp comes with X7 parts the DB response sport comes with Shimano EP-50 shifters where does that fall in?
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,736

    In Shimnao's world....

    parts designated like that are what they call a "non-series" component. They are usually OEM only parts but not always, some non-series components are available aftermarket. Where they usually fall is bellow the Accera or Tourney series of components. They are usually much cheaper and of lesser durability than the series (XTR, XT, LX, etc.) componenets. They are still quality parts but are not built to the same standards technologically or material wise. If you get a bike with non-series parts on it, it's a pretty good bet that you'll be replacing them first as they will wear out much sooner under hard use. If you can afford the difference go for the DB Response Comp. It is a much better speced bike for the money all the way around but especially in the area of the drive tain.

    Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

  7. #7
    1.21 Jigowatts!
    Reputation: brubakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by Squash
    parts designated like that are what they call a "non-series" component. They are usually OEM only parts but not always, some non-series components are available aftermarket. Where they usually fall is bellow the Accera or Tourney series of components. They are usually much cheaper and of lesser durability than the series (XTR, XT, LX, etc.) componenets. They are still quality parts but are not built to the same standards technologically or material wise. If you get a bike with non-series parts on it, it's a pretty good bet that you'll be replacing them first as they will wear out much sooner under hard use. If you can afford the difference go for the DB Response Comp. It is a much better speced bike for the money all the way around but especially in the area of the drive tain.

    Good Dirt
    Thanks for the input. I placed an order for my DB Response Comp yesterday.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GT0neX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    82
    stick w/ sram x-7 or x-9...the x-0 stuff uses carbon fiber which may be a bit fragile for us noob's seeing as how we fall or hit things more often

  9. #9
    1.21 Jigowatts!
    Reputation: brubakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    236
    Quote Originally Posted by GT0neX
    stick w/ sram x-7 or x-9...the x-0 stuff uses carbon fiber which may be a bit fragile for us noob's seeing as how we fall or hit things more often
    Aparently you have seen me riding.
    '07 Giant Anthem 2
    '07 Giant Yukon
    '95 Diamondback WCF Vertex

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GT0neX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    82

    ... and if we just ...

    Quote Originally Posted by brubakes
    Aparently you have seen me riding.
    heh...i speak from experience! My first two times out I came back w/ bent deraileur hangers from crashes that surely would have broken anything made out of CF

  11. #11
    Baba Booey!
    Reputation: monkeyfist23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    258

    sram

    I made the switch to sram about a year ago, and will never go back to Shimano. As a matter of fact I think a year ago was the last time i had to adjust my shifter Seriously, x9 is stuff is more than enough for most people, especially if you tend to break stuff. The x9 shifts as good if not better and more reliably than the XTR I used to have. I really like the sram thumb shifters too. Once you get used to them they are really smooth operating. Thats my experience. I won't say that I don't use any Shimano products, I love my XT outboard bearing cranks, they are better than race face, IMHO, just based on the engineering of them they are simple and strong. XT hubs are also good components and easy enough to work on if you need to replace a free hub.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •