1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

sram hierarchy....

Hello,

Despite my wife being in nursing school and wanting me to wait until she graduates in December, I think I'm close to being able to build up the NOS Bandersnatch I have sittin' in the garage. With that said, I'm trying to learn about components and I keep reading XO is equivalent to XTR and X9 is equivalent to XT. If that's true, what are XX and XX1? In general, what is the hierarchy of Sram v. Shimano?

Also, can the component groups within Sram be mixed and matched to save money? I have a set of Truvativ Stylo Team cranks that to my untrained eye look like they're in really good shape and would like to incorporate them into this build but I don't know what level Stylo Team is and if they're compatible with Sram components, though I think I read Sram owns Truvativ.

Finally, can you save money by procuring your component group, Shimono or Sram, in Taiwan or Hong Kong etc? My wife has family and friends living in and around parts of Asia. My connections are even better in S. Korea. Are there any MTB components manufactured there?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

mtbr member
    Not sure. Pretty sure XTR and XO are the same level and as far as I know Shimano only goes to the XTR level, so I'm guessing that the SRAM XX and XX1 stuff is just even a couple steps up from XTR with no rival. I don't know if there's a performance improvement but the XX and XX1 stuff is lighter.

mtbr member

Re: sram hierarchy....

I think it's more like XX=XTR AND XO=XT. Maybe not weight wise but performance & durabilty wise. My .02¢.

Cow Clicker
    Depends on which components you are talking about. And there are now multiple splits within the groups with rear derailleuers Type 1, Type 2, Shadow, Shadow Plus, carbon, etc.

I'd back into it if I were you by making a list to meet your goal criteria. Something like:

X handling characteristics
    X durability
    X weight
    X whatever you want to get out of the bike

Then, build it based on meeting those criteria.
    No, YOU don't understand. You're making an ass of yourself for all of eternity.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thx for the replies guys. I had read that X7 and SLX were the same caliber. Anyway, I'm most interested in how smooth and easily the shifting is for the rear cog and how durable the equipment will be. I'm concerned about durability and performance, not weight.

With that in mind, what combination of components is the best for me and will my Stylo Team crank set be compatible?

Thanks again.

Cow Clicker
    Crank is independent of derailleurs. The shifters are more important when it comes to smoothness. Then cassette, then dérailleur then chain. People have traditionally used the derailleur as a correllary to smooth shifting, but the cause is the whole system. You can mix/match SRAM and Shimano as well as groups.

SLX and X7 are both very capable groups.

This might help as well.

Noob Buyer's Guide

B.Ike
    rear derailuer and shifter have to match.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

sram hierarchy....

Quote Originally Posted by PhxBuckeye View Post
    Hello,

Despite my wife being in nursing school and wanting me to wait until she graduates in December, I think I'm close to being able to build up the NOS Bandersnatch I have sittin' in the garage. With that said, I'm trying to learn about components and I keep reading XO is equivalent to XTR and X9 is equivalent to XT. If that's true, what are XX and XX1? In general, what is the hierarchy of Sram v. Shimano?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
    All three are basically top level.
    The main difference between XX and XO is XX is only a 2 ring crank group. You can get a XO triple.

XX1 is a different concept, 1x11 gearing being the most visible.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So then what are the components you would spend more on -- the rear cassette, rear derailleur/shifter etc? Which components ware out the fastest?

sram hierarchy....

Quote Originally Posted by PhxBuckeye View Post
    So then what are the components you would spend more on -- the rear cassette, rear derailleur/shifter etc? Which components ware(sic) out the fastest?
    Shifters. Even then rarely top of the line.

Maybe cassettes, if I have hubs with aluminum FH bodies, to get ones with the cog carriers.

Otherwise I buy mid level parts. Work fine. Cost less.

Chains, cassettes, chainrings--in that order--are the wear components. Though I tend to replace rings more often than cassettes because I have multiple wheelsets.
    mtbtires.com

B.Ike
    ^^logic being spend less on parts that wear out faster? or vice-versa? I buy slx/x7 stuff with longevity in mind.

sram hierarchy....

Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    ^^logic being spend less on parts that wear out faster? or vice-versa? I buy slx/x7 stuff with longevity in mind.
    Sort-of-not-really.

Minor functional gains and weight loss are not worth the price.

At the mid range most of the components work very well and are as or more reliable* than the high end (which can be more fragile to drop weight), and cost much, MUCH less.

You need to find where your balance point is.

* I say reliable rather than durable. Better to have a part that does not fail easily but may wear out quicker than a fragile part.
    mtbtires.com

Cow Clicker
    Quote Originally Posted by ElwoodT View Post
    rear derailuer and shifter have to match.
    Clarification: must have SRAM shifter and SRAM R/D. You can have XX shifter and X9 RD or XTR shifter and XT RD as long as it is the same number of speeds.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

RE: sram hierarchy....

XX1 - nothing
    XX - XTR race
    X0 - XTR trail / saint
    X9 - XT
    X7 - SLX
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I like this article about where to spend money on the drivetrain

Ask a Mechanic: Shimano XTR ? Where To Spend Your Money | Art?s Cyclery Blog

sram hierarchy....

Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post

I disagree a bit about the front derailleur. Any mid level FD can shift very well if setup by a good mechanic that learned the tricks in the mid-'80s or earlier. Tweak the cages a bit and you have solid, instant shifts. Front indexed shifters actually make it tougher to get a clean front shift. I will take a friction front shifter any day.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    That's a very interesting and helpful -- assuming he's right -- article. However, he doesn't address brakes. Anyone got anything there? I see BB7 on this board a lot.

Anyone know of a dealer who's willing to put together a customized group like that and what would you expect to pay?

Thanks for everyone's replies.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by goodmojo View Post

Thank you for posting that article. Very helpful.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    thought the article doesn't make any sense. I shift my rear derailleur 10x the amount I would shift the front derailleur.

right now the 2012 and new xt/lx/xtr hydraulic disc brakes are considered the best. bb7 are the best mechanicals but are inferior to hydraulics. hydraulic vs mechanical can be personal preference with most users preferring hydro.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Okay, so if I'm concerned about durability, performance and price and not weight, which brakes are the right ones?

TIA.

Cow Clicker
    Latest release of SLX are supposed to be fantastic for your description. Last year's XT are also exactly that.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Okay, so if I'm concerned about durability, performance and price and not weight, which brakes are the right ones?
    high end is mostly about weight. I run bottom end shimano stuff and they shift fine. Shifters have to be adjusted and tweaked just like my XTR bike, but they all shift good enough and are durable. In fact, the highest end stuff are often less durable than the cheapy stuff. This is why shimano has a xtr race and xtr trail in some components (trail is more durable while race is less weight)

Spending money does not make you a better rider. Ride more. I would rather run a decent fork (unlike shifting, better forks work a lot better AND save a lot of weight), and run Deore-SLX level rear derailleur and shifter.

Personally, I'd just buy whatever parts I could find deals on in the deals subforum here, or do some ebay hunting. My mountain bike is dedicated trail bike, and I'm in reasonably good shape, so I have converted to 1x9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Shiggy why is the shifter so important and also how is the performance from SLX to XT in terms of shifters?

sram hierarchy....

Quote Originally Posted by Liternit View Post
    Shiggy why is the shifter so important and also how is the performance from SLX to XT in terms of shifters?
    Generally, the higher end shifters are more precise, durable, feel better than the low end. They are what controls the derailleur.

Not a lot of difference between XT and SLX shifters
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just replaced my SLX shifters that came on my '12-model bike with new XT. I think there is a big difference. Maybe they upgraded the SLX for '13 or the factory put older shifters on my bike?

Easier lever pull and more precise feel and smoother quieter shifts on the XT.

On the rear I can shift two positions per pull of the trigger when going to a smaller cog, where the SLX could only go one. When going to larger cogs I can move 4 positions, where the SLX would do only three. (It is quite awkward to move the lever that far. 3 positions on the XT and 2 on the SLX is all that is practical.)

The front XT has a 2x/3x switch that the SLX does not have.

In case anyone cares, the XT set is 20 grams lighter than the SLX. I'm just happier they aren't heavier .

-------

I have SLX brakes -- they are awesome and everyone that rides it comments on how good the brakes are. I have ridden a bike with XT brakes and couldn't tell any difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast