mtbr member
    Mar 2014

sram 1050 cassete moving

Hi, Why moving Chainrings, they have become ground .

video

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    It looks to be a little loose. You can buy the tool and DIY or if you take the wheel to your local shop they'll likely snug it up for free.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks, i buy the tool and try to do my self.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    One of two things, either you are missing a spacer that goes on the freehub before the cassette goes on (locking ring cant seat the cassette fully) or the cassette locking ring is loose.

you will need a SRAM/Shimano lock ring tool, a chain whip and a crescent wrench.
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    there is something wrong there. I'm guessing the chain rings weren't put on right in the first place. Even a loose lockring wouldn't do that I think..

buy the right lockring tool for your lockring (take a picture and post it if you don't know).

get a chain whip, i like this one: 3 in 1 Function Bicycle Chain Whip Bike Bottom Bracket Tool Lock Ring Tool | eBay

take the lock ring off and slide the chainrings off. When you reinstall them, make sure you align the chainrig inner notches correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    There is no way to put the chain rings on wrong, there is a indexing notch that is skinner than the rest of the notches. Only allows you to put the rings on in one position.

Have you ever taken the cassette off of this wheel or had a shop take it off?
    My Giant's - 2014 Propel Adv Di2 - 2014 TCR Adv SL4 - 2014 Anthem Adv 27.5 - 2014 XtC Adv 27.5 - 2014 TCX Adv Pro

mtbr member
    On a 10 spd cassette like yours, its usually the first 2 that are separate pieces. The 3rd one that has wiggles would make me believe that the whole cassette does. It might be a worn out freewheel. But, its always a good test to remove it and inspect it, then reinstall it.
    Last edited by Shakester; 03-21-2014 at 11:10 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Cassettes consist of cogs, not chainrings.

mtbr member
    I have been wanting to overhaul my rear wheel, but it's my first time so I don't know which tools I need. I know I need a chain whip, a lockring holder or remover or something tool, and a crescent wrench, which I have. Are there different sizes of chain whips and locking remover tools?
    I looked at other threads but couldn't seem to figure out my questions. Also, where can the chain whips and lockring holders be found for under $25 for both?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I made a chain whip with a piece of chain and metal ,it didn't cost anything.The lock ring tool should be under $10.

mtbr member
    Yeah I see I can just use a glove and a rag in place of a chain whip, but for the lock ring tool, Park Tool has different model types, and some say they're made for shimano and others don't specify which model they're made for. I have SRAM shifters and derailleurs, and SR Suntour cassette in front (can't see a brand on rear cassette, but everything is stock), so probably suntour in back too.

Does it matter which one I buy? Thank you

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    I made a chain whip with a piece of chain and metal ,it didn't cost anything.
    ^^^ Much better than a rag.

Most any lockring tool will do, SRAM/Shimano are the same. It's worth it to get one with a lineup pin.

mtbr member
    that sure appears to be a worn freehub...especially if the hub is aluminum. The cog movement is front to back. If it wobbled side to side, a loose lockring or missing/mis-placed spacer could be the culprit, but I have never seen a lockring loosen up if tightend even close to spec. Has it been apart recently? It really don't make any difference, either way it's got to come apart.
    2014 Nail Trail 29...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by time229er View Post
    that sure appears to be a worn freehub...especially if the hub is aluminum. The cog movement is front to back. If it wobbled side to side, a loose lockring or missing/mis-placed spacer could be the culprit, but I have never seen a lockring loosen up if tightend even close to spec. Has it been apart recently? It really don't make any difference, either way it's got to come apart.
    Cassettes can actually move like that due to a loose lockring, some freehub body/cassette combos more than others. I've seen a lot of loose lockrings too, though that one must be extremely loose if nothing else is wrong (missing spacer, etc.). Some people tighten them with their fingers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. Weld View Post
    Cassettes can actually move like that due to a loose lockring, some freehub body/cassette combos more than others. I've seen a lot of loose lockrings too, though that one must be extremely loose if nothing else is wrong (missing spacer, etc.). Some people tighten them with their fingers.
    really??...with their fingers??...OMG let's hope the OP fills in the blanks!
    2014 Nail Trail 29...