1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

Thread: Squeaky headset

mtbr member
    May 2013

Squeaky headset

When I turn the bars it sounds like an old door creaking. Bars move freely and I've tried loosening the preload and stem then retightening. With everything completely loose there's no noise so I guess it's the spacers rubbing. Should I be concerned?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Mine did the same. It was the rubber gasket at the bottom of the spacers rubbing on the head tube. A little lube and its gone.

mtbr member
    Every part of the head set assembly should get a coating of grease. If you think the spacers are squeaking, lightly grease them too.

Also, check the installation guide to ensure everything is in the right place and oriented correctly.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the advice, will lube

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Also check your fork, if it is a creaking sound could be the guides in the for leg on the non sprung side, assuming it is a coil sprung fork.