1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

New question here. Squeaking rubber gasket on front hub

So Iíll try and make this a long story short Ė cruising down a country road on my mountain bike going 30mph, went down a big hill about to go up the next, stand up on my bike to start peddling again and I step down with my right foot there was nothing to step on besides the pavement, chain skips off. So it completely throws my balance to the right and I barrel roll the bike with me still hanging on. Bike Damage Ė Front rim is scrapped up a little bit, front tube blown out, chain is all wrapped in the rear derailleur but no damage to the derailleur, few asphalt marks on the seat. Body Damage Ė Minor scrapes and bruises (luckily), feel the right shoulder and everything seems to be fine but it feels weird. Feel the left should and the right should at the same time, hmm collar bone is sticking straight up. Yup separated shoulder, a week later surgery on grade 5 separated shoulder.
    Now, 4 months later Doc says I can get back on the bike and ride but no rugged trails. Fixed the tube, checked the front and rear derailleurs all is good, seems to be!

As I ride the bike or spin the wheel while in air the front wheel squeaks. The rubber gasket on the right side as you sit on the bike is spinning with the wheel and squeaking. Iíve taken the wheel off and put it back on, but didnít check the hub tightness. Any idea why this gasket is spinning with the wheel?

Thanks for the help
    If it floats, flies, fuc*s, or faces the water, it's cheaper to rent.
    Hard work is for people with short talent.

mtbr member
    It might help for some to know what kind of bike it is:
    2012 Marlin 29er

CSC
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by budjev View Post
    It might help for some to know what kind of bike it is:
    2012 Marlin 29er
    second

Also, you say that the front wheel is scraped up some, and that you managed to blow the front tire...that takes a bit of force, and it is possible that you tweaked something in the front hub. Spin the front wheel...does it wobble? If not, then take the wheel off, and take the axle out of the hub, and rest a steel ruler against it, to check to make sure it's straight. If it is, there you go.

If not, it could be that the rubber gasket is all that is wrong, and just came loose during the crash. Try to see if it slides back into a little recess in the hub body. It could also be an internal issue (bearings, rust from inactivity).
    I know I'm a bit vague, but it's hard for us to diagnose an issue without holding the bike in our hands.

Good luck!

mtbr member
    CSC - exactly what I was looking for!! I will check your ideas tomorrow evening and let you know what i find.