1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Squeaking Disc Brakes

I purchased my Giant Rincon around christmas and have been riding it regularly, but about 2 weeks ago my disc brakes started to squeak really loudly when I brake. The sound comes and goes. Is this a problem or are they just now getting broke in. The bike comes with Tectro mechanical disc brakes.

Thanks in advance for any help.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Is power still good? If there's less power, could be that the pads are contaminated.

Might check the condition of the pads anyway, see what kind of life is left.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The power still seems to be good, I checked the pads and they aren't worn down. At least I don't think so.

What do it mean when the pads are contaminated? Are they bad pads?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I got one good loud squeak on my Rincon last weekend, sounded like v brakes, but we were riding in pretty wet and muddy conditions so I just chocked it up to that.

By contaminated I think he means they have grease on them or something similar. Maybe try cleaning them with rubbing alcohol. I'd confirm this with someone else though I'm pretty much a newb too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaineikans
    By contaminated I think he means they have grease on them or something similar.
    Yep. Any kind of oil can contaminate brake pads, from chain lube to oils from your fingers (so you should avoid touching the rotor with your bare hands). Once it's got oil on the pads, the brakes can become very ineffective, and squeal. Sometimes you can clean them with alcohol as Blaineikans says. I've had luck with putting the pads in the toaster oven and boiling the contaminants off.

If you still have good power, it doesn't sound like contaminated pads. Moisture can make brakes squeal. Some brakes (Avid Juicies seem to be notorious for this) can have noise problems depending on the setup, but otherwise work just fine.