1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

spoke to another rider yesterday while on my new bike

So i took my new 29er out yesterday and ran into a more experienced rider. He mentioned to me bout the gorilla tape and stans seal to go tubeless. Is this worth looking into? I have looked it up and it looks easy, but as a beginner would I gain anything from going this route?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Just enjoy the new bike! If you start having a few flat issues then look at tubeless. Get to know your bike pretty good, then decide what you need for yourself. Many people hype the tubeless thing, but if you do not get flats but every few months, your not really gaining much.(it seems to be very trendy-to say go tubeless to new riders)

mtbr member

My tires pinched after a few weeks of riding. I have converted to tubeless and have never looked back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I got a flat on my 26er a few days ago. Not really sure how. Is there much weight loss to going tubeless?

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I got six flats in two weeks. Went tubeless and never looked back. Still requires upkeep so don't think it's a one time deal.
    Let's make like a Bike and get the Huck outta here...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

I weigh around 250 and hope to maybe shed some by biking. Would tubeless help someone who weighs a little more?

R.I.P. DogFriend
    The best answer I could give you is "it depends".

It depends on what tire/rim combination you have, how good you are with tools, whether or not you have the proper tools, if you're willing to spend more time in your garage as opposed to spending time on the trail fixing flats, it's about your tolerance for risk since the endless tire/rim combinations have not all been tested to find out if they're compatible, and/or how much you're willing to pay someone to know what works and for them to do it for you.

Especially for newer riders, it can be a snake pit, or a breeze. Like I said, "it depends."