1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Specialized vs Felt

Finally at the end of the discussion from my previous post, I've decided to start with an entry level so please don't start pushing my budget. Right now my budget cap is 700/750$ for the bike (with shoes, clothes, tubes, camelback etc will go easily to 1000$). Now my big decision is from 2 bikes, Felt Nine 80 or Specialized Hardrock Sport disk 29. What do you guys think?
    here the link with the comparison.

2013 Felt Nine 80 vs 2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We've been through the limitations, so ride em and pick which ever "feels" best to you.
    Get on the trails and go from there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I don't think the lbs will let me try the bike on the trail, I never asked but he never mentioned anything like that. For the Specialized I have either order it and buy or wait 2 more weeks cause this other bike store have it on order. Looking at the comparison the 2 big difference I've found are the fork and the brakes (mechanical vs hydraulics). For sure Specialized is a bigger brand (so more expensive for the same stuff!).

mtbr member
    Entry level bikes are all pretty much the same. It all depends on which one feels better when you ride it. They're not going to let you ride on trail but you can at least know when a bike feels cramped or you sit on top it instead of in it, from a ride around the parking lot and cross it off your list if you don't like it. I wouldn't bother ordering an entry level bike. Expand your search to some other bike shops and see what else is out there.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Ride some Treks. They have different more slack geo It is the most current.. Ride on the grass, up and down hilly areas and in and out of ditches around the parking lot. It's an offroad bike. Work the suspension. If they don't have a particular model ride an upgraded version with the same frame. You can learn the fit. Ask if any demo days are comimg up. That allows you to test a range of bikes on trails.

mtbr member
    They are both very very similar. I like the look of the Felt better. A hardrock 26er was my first bike. I loved that thing too.