1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

New question here. Specialized RockHopper Comp Disc 29er 2009 good buying price? 650.00?

Trying to get into some moderate mtb.

Do you guys know if this is a 650.00 is a good price or should I talk him down to a certain price?

Specialized RockHopper Comp Disc 29er 2009

He says he just did a tune up, brake disc pads been replaced, and a thudbuster seatpost to top it off.

The bike is in excellent condition.

Please help a noob out. Thanks in advance.

Big wheels small brain
    BikePedia - 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29 Complete Bicycle

Was $940 new. I'd be more comfortable in the $450-$500 range, but thats just me. Thudbusters aren't cheap, and some people love them, but they're not for me.

That is a very nice entry level bike. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I'd say you should see about getting him down to at least $600. As Matt said, that Thudbuster is worth a little coin, but only for those who like them.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    thanks guys. I will try to aim for 600... as long as I can get a good deal on it. Trying to get into the sport by getting a good deal on a used bike. Hard shopping for one...and this is a bike that came along that actually fits me... I might pull the trigger.

mtbr member
    I'm trying to sell the exact same bike with a new upgraded headset and X.9 rear derailleur and people on CL are beating me up over my asking price of $600. Even when I drop it to $550 I get a bunch of grief. Cheap bastards. It's a good bike and responds decently well to upgrades. IMO it's a deal at $600, a steal at $550 or less.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    maybe i should of brought it off you. lol.

anyways i pulled the trigger at 560. A couple of scratches but it looks intact.

he put front and rear Vulpine semi-slick.

are these good tires for trail or what do you guys recommend as a set?

-chad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    while im at it, anything i should upgrade or get on the bike? the crankset seemed to of been scratched bad don't know how he manage to do that.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    IMO $520 is just about the right price for that bike in used but well maintained condition.
    ~ 2011 GT Avalanche 2.0
    ~ 1993 Diamondback Topanga
    ~ 2012 Diamondback Overdrive Expert