1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.

View Poll Results: Which color of MTB

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Black/Red

13 61.90%
  • White/Black/Red

8 38.10%
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

Hey guys I am about to pull the trigger on my first mountain bike purchase. I have been renting from our college's outdoor center, borrowing friends, and test riding for over a month now. After scanning Craigslist endlessly and sifting through every LBS in 50 miles I have settled on the 2013 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er. I am gonna go pull the trigger in the next couple days and have reached the biggest question of all. What color? After much googling I have read countless horror stories of white MTB being a chore to keep clean or the paint yellowing over time, but I figure I will give it one last poll here to the views on MTBR.com. Which bike would y'all go with of the two.

Here is a link to the paint jobs. I am stuck between black/red vs. white/red/black combo.

Picture Unrelated
    Buy the one you like best. Who cares what the internet thinks? It's your bike and you have to like it, not us.

I think that the white powdercoat only has a problem yellowing if you leave it in the sun constantly (like by a window in your garage where it gets sun all day every day) or if it lives in an environment where it is caustic to the powdercoat. In two or three years you'll have so many scratches and nicks all over the bike that you won't even notice if it is yellowing or not. This is the same as any paint color; eventually, it's going to fade or change.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Had a mostly white Hardrock approx 10 years ago. Didn't keep it long enough for the paint to fade but while I had it all that white made me want to keep on top of cleaning so the bike looked pretty much as good as new after every ride.

eff
    mtbr member
    At first I was going to say the black but after going to the site I actually prefer the white/red. In the end, get the one you like best. My buddy rides a white bike and yet it gets dirty, but it's a MTB and that's the way it should be.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yeah just see which one you like better in person. I personally don't like white bikes at all, but that's just my taste. In that bike, the black/red looks best to me, but I also like the black/orange/blue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Was just at my LBS and checked out the new black model. Its a flat black which looks great and will hide the majoity of crud that you will get into.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    After thinking about what I had posted and looking at a couple other bikes I just bought the black version the hardrock sport 29er. I guess i convinced myself about the looks and more importantly the feel of this simple bike. Hopes it helps

Rogue Exterminator
    Voted to bring it closer to a tie
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I voted for the black/red simply because its the one I got ! Lol

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er-784360d1364227099-13-hardrock-sport-29er-102_3727.jpg

I bought the black one! Great bike..I'm loving it :-)
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Here is mine (matte black and red)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er-img_20130625_155808.jpg  

mtbr member
    I voted white/black/red. I have 2 bikes, one silver and red (Stumpy) and the second black and white (Camber). I only ride the Camber. Doubt it's the color but...
    2013 Specialized Carbon Camber Pro 29er (Warranty frame and other stuff)
    2011 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp 29er