1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Specialized frame size?

I'm new to the mtn bike scene and I'm looking at purchasing a big hit. I've found a good deal on a medium frame bike. I'm about 6' 2", but most of my height is in my torso. My inseam is around 31-32". Would this frame be too small for me? What size frame do I need?
    Thanks, Josh

ride hard take risks
    For your height i would think a large would do you better. Your inseam is measured by taking a level between your crotch standing straight then measure.
    Last edited by dogonfr; 05-02-2006 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member

Spec. frame size

I just purchased a Specialized Hardrock about a month ago. I'm 6'4", about 225 lbs. on a good day, and I went with the X-Large. I rode the large and really liked it, but my arms felt a little cramped. The X-L is a big frame, but now that I'm comfortable with it, I know I made the right choice. Hope this helps.

There's no app for this.

what he said and Top Tube is key

I'm 5'11", 31" inseam. A Large Specialized with a 23.8" TT fits me perfectly.

You really need to get your @$$ onto a saddle to check it, though.

Jim

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimC.
    @$$ Jim

Ass is a lagit word.
    funnin ya

EDR
    Ass........ass..ass............................... .....................ASSASSASS...................A S S.......ass ass ass ass ass ass ......HA!

Best guess would be a large for you but nothing compares to a good 'ole test ride.

AASSSSS! ASS!!!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    Ass........ass..ass............................... .....................ASSASSASS...................A S S.......ass ass ass ass ass ass ......HA!

Best guess would be a large for you but nothing compares to a good 'ole test ride.

AASSSSS! ASS!!!
    edr your on a roll