1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

specialized! finally bought it!

i bought a specialized hardrock sport today i love it its so much fun! so i got a question also what should i upgrade first? (ps it has v brakes but a disc frame)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    break the component then upgrade it. if you are questioning the specs already, maybe you shouldve went with a higher model. like the disc model.

as far as disc brakes go. if you are big, disc would be smart. if you are medium or small, vee brakes should be fine.

im 5'2 and 135lbs. and my LBS said i would be ok with vee brakes because im light enough and dont need the extra stopping power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    kk ty for the help and im happy with it i have just had lots of people aske me about discs and im only 5'7 and 152 lbs so vee will work.. ty again

mtbr member
    May 2008
    You really don't need disc brakes. At least ride it for a while first and see how the brakes are for you. Some kool stop pads will improve the braking. You should upgrade the pedals, saddle, and grips if you don't like the stock ones.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    i love the grips and pedals i might get bigger platforms but i really dont like clipless they kinda scare me... and i dont want to have to change shoes to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A fork with lockout would be my first upgrade.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    kk what can i do to get my adjuster to start working it feels like its jammed i cant move it either way or its just really hard to move?

spec4life???..smh...
    Iv got the 08 HR sport to and its a great bike. It will handle the abuse and it performs. Honestly i dont think you could get a better entry level hardtail.

On on mine iv upgraded the seat and i just picked up some oury grips, velociraptor tires, and a set of kool stop brake pads.

Just worry about upgrading the contact points. Seat, grips, pedals, tires. Forget about the fork upgrade thats absurd. The fork works just fine for XC riding and i even take it to my local DH course and it does great, just dont tell nobody.

Upgrade the bike to make it comfortable for you to ride and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    kk ty for info

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The hardrock sport has a disc frame? I always thought the hardrock sport needed to have the hubs swapped out to support disc. Is this new with the 08 model?

spec4life???..smh...
    It has disc mounts on the frame and on the fork, however it does still require the hubs to be changed to disc hubs in order to mount the rotars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    what would be a good shock upgrade?

spec4life???..smh...
    if you wanted to upgrade the shock right off the bat why in the world didt you just buy a better bike. Your gonna end up spending 200 on any kind of improvement shock. You could have bought a bike with a better fork and componets for that.

Stick with what you got. Replacing now makes no sense.

If you dont like the performance of it check into getting a new coil.

mtbr member
    the biggest upgrade right now would be to go and ride it. When stuff starts breaking or wearing out, then start thinking upgrades.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    well i cant get the left side of the fork adjustment to moe its annoying

mtbr member
    If you didn't have the money to buy the disc model, why do you have the money to spend a bunch more than you would have to upgrade the parts one by one?
    :wq

Weekend Warrior
    Go to your local LBS and replace the brake pads with KoolStop MTB Dual Compound pads. Work as well as most Disk Brakes, except in mud.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    kk ty on the brake pads i might try them out and im not looking to upgrade now im looking like into the future

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    yimmer, if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for the hardrock and what year was it (08 or 09)?

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    lol not even new and i think like a 2005 and $200 lol it was just a bike i bought to get into the ssport more.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    what the heck does "kk ty" mean?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    "kk ty" means "OK, thank you"

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tanen
    "kk ty" means "OK, thank you"
    "Double-plus good."

I've ridden similar levels of Hardrocks, and to be honest, I would leave the fork adjustment alone. They tend to get stuck, and honestly don't seem to make much difference.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    okay well i finally got it it was just a bit tight

Bare-A-Cooter
    Jul 2008
    i have a 07 hard rock and the rear hub went out ,so i got Shimano Deore Disc/Rhyno Lite Wheelset and got disk brakes. cant beat that wheel set for 95 bucks p.s. love the bike

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast