1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Specialized Enduro - TOO SMALL

Hello, this is my first post. I was wondering what I should do with my wife's bike. It might be a little too small. she bought an Enduro 2005 Comp 130 in a Small frame. She's 5' 6.5 w/32" inseam. At the time it seemed like a good idea to go a little smaller than bigger since All Mountain riding is really about control (isn't it? :-)

I just took a ride with her this morning and boy oh boy, it might be a little small for her with the seat all the way up. I'm looking to buy the Thomson 30.9 diameter by 410mm long ei 263 grams and a longer stem too. I'm not sure about the angle of stem since I would like to see if she would be comfortable with no angle. I would hate to trade in the 2005 frame to get a medium that might be a little big for her (less control?) I guess we can always go with a WSD but the bank is broken until we sell the Enduro 130.

ANY INPUT is appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Just Joshin' ya!
    You might try posting this in the Women's Lounge.
    What do we want? TIME TRAVEL! When do want it? THAT'S IRRELEVANT!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thank you NMPHI....I will post it in the Womens Lounge.

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    I have a med. and 31" inseam, its borderline for me but I'm 6' tall

Certified Silly Bugger!
    If anything you want to lean towards the larger frame. This provides a longer wheelbase and more stability and control.

There are lots of articles about correct fitting, i'll try and find one for you.
    Mmmm..... Gatorale.....

[SIZE="3"]
    I like Pepper!
    [/SIZE]

Full of holes

Welcome to the board.

Quote Originally Posted by routergod
    Hello, this is my first post.
    I am 5'7 and (I guess) a 30-32" inseam. I have a 2001 medium Enduro which fits me fine.

Having said that, a small might be the right size for your wife. It all depends on her particular body geometry. Women tend to have longer legs and a shorter torso than men of the same size, so some women can have reach problems with a bigger size. Also, a medium will have a higher stand-over height which can be unnerving. If saddle height is not an issue, and she reaches the bars comfortably, I'd say this is the right size for her. I'd play with different seatposts and barstems before buying the new frame either way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Thanks, I actually decided to go to my LBS and have them deal with it since it might be too complicated at first. I'm sure after we (my wife and I) MTB for a few months we'll kind of know what "feels" right. I just didn't want us/her to start on the wrong frame or setup (seat height or angle and right stem etc...). I also posted in the "Womens Lounge" and I did get a few recommendations. Thanks again for all the info