1. The most important thing about buying a new bike is to make sure it fits. The only way you'll know if the bike is right for you is to size up the bike and make sure that the bike's geometry matches your body's geometry. Ask questions and do some research.
mtn. biking 101
2. If possible, try to find a shop that will let you demo the bike on real dirt. Five minutes in a parking lot won't cut it. You wouldn't buy a car without a real world test drive, and a bike should be no different.
3. Don't belive the hype. Just because your favorite rider or best friend rides a certain bike, that doesn't mean that's the best one for you. Have an open mind and be realistic about your needs and ability.
    mtbr member

Specialized Dirt Bag (Saddle Bag)

Needed a bigger saddle bag than the Bontrager Basic Seat Pack that I had so I went with the Specialized Dirt Bag. Much more room now since my purchase of a flat tire "kit". Has two nice compartments to store everything (i.e. multi tool, tape, cell phone, etc.) Looking at some quick reviews, seems like I'll have to be careful with the zipper when there's dirt on it. I'll take my chances with it for now.

Class Clown
    that thing must be pretty big, I have the wedgie and can fit quite a bit in there.

mtbr member
    It is big but not gaudy. I tried the wedgie but my Bontrager was actually bigger/deeper.

mtbr member
    I decided on the wedgie myself. Anything bigger was just annoying, as I could feel it with my thunder thighs

mtbr member
    I had the large version of this bag and returned it for a couple different reasons.

The straps are pretty small and the portion where the straps are connected to the bag is very small...with the bag full, the straps could easily rip off the top of the bag...i guess if you handy with sewing you can reinforce it.

The other reason, it never stopped bouncing...Even with light weight in it, the dam thing kept bobbing up and down with the terrain, bumping the bottom of my seat over and over...not to mention, it makes noise when it does this.

I ended up going back to a simple bag ive had for a while....might give topeak a try.

Here is a shot with it on my bike, give you an idea of how big the large size is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    i like my fox medium bag.

mtbr member
    x2 for the fox bag. ive had it for many years and it is still like new. i also carry my multi tool and some other small stuff in my hydropack, which i love.
    2008 Specialized Stumpjumper fsr comp
    1998 Specialized Stumpjumper S2(Metal Matrix)